Nook Sales Extended!

Ended up returning the Nook HD I picked up for the wife. Although it did run Android fine it just didn't feel like the same quality hardware wise compared to the bigger HD+.

Happy to report on that front the HD+ is still running good. As for questions on speed the overall responsiveness seems so much snappier running android even from the SD card.

I dunno how must faster if at all it would be running on the internal memory instead. Eventually I might go that route and see how it goes. For now though it seems fast and Apps are still stored on the internal memory which frees up more space on the SD card.

Ended up returning the Nook HD I picked up for the wife. Although it did run Android fine it just didn't feel like the same quality hardware wise compared to the bigger HD+.

Happy to report on that front the HD+ is still running good. As for questions on speed the overall responsiveness seems so much snappier running android even from the SD card.

I dunno how must faster if at all it would be running on the internal memory instead. Eventually I might go that route and see how it goes. For now though it seems fast and Apps are still stored on the internal memory which frees up more space on the SD card.

It seems fairly fast, but still not as fast and smooth as the recent Rage Rom I installed on my Droid Rarz Max. Then again that rom seems to have doubled or tripled the speed of my phone! I noticed some serious lag on transition animations with go launcher depending on the animation I use. The most basic of them works perfectly fine but my phone handles everything extremely fast in comparison.

The one problem I have had a few times is when booting the device. One time it showed the loading cynaogen screen for 25 minutes and it required 2 restarts for the OS to boot up, at which point it booted in seconds instead of minutes. Hopefully they get this fixed in the next release.

For those that don't want to mess with completely wiping the device: you can root the device and allow sideloading of 'unapproved' apps by following the directions here. It basically involves booting from an SD card and flashing a few files.

I got the HD+ to replace my aging Nook color, and I am happy with the upgrade.

I just flashed my Nook HD+ plus to CM 10.1 and it is really nice, but not perfect. The development of the ROM is way ahead of the Kindle Fire 8.9. Much lighter than the Kindle as well, but I still think the 8.9 is superior for video.

Last week I realized that this sale is still going (though only through B&N, it looks like all other retailers have cleared out their stock) and I picked up a nook hd+ 16gb for myself. B&N was running a promotion so I got a free $20 gift card with it (though I think that promo is over now). I used the stock system for about 20 minutes before I got fed up with it and switched to cyanogenmod 10.2. It is so much better than the stock crap. The only problems so far have been occasional browser crashes when I try to make it do stuff it doesn't like (usually flash related) and that the wifi never shuts off when the screen is off which really eats up battery. I just have to remember to manually turn off the wifi before bed so I don't lose 10% while I sleep.

Anyway, all in all I'm pretty pleased with it for the price.

I just got tired of all the non-ending glitches and updating SD cards with new cyanogen mod. I liked the whole "hacking" experience for a while, but after owning a nexus device I appreciate not having to udate SD cards constantly.

The nooks have great screens though!

Back