Nook HD+ cheap in some states ($169 in AZ)

Lazn_Work

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a Nook HD+ for $169, new from B&N.. (Goodyear store)

It seems they are doing a test market pricing in AZ right now (from what a little bird told me)

Searching the web finds that some other states might have it better:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/04/25/bn-puts-the-nook-hd-on-sale-149/

While the rest of you still get the full $269 price.

It is a decent 9" tablet, better than anything else you can get at that price. I am liking mine so far. I plan to side-load a few apps that the B&N store doesn't have, but I don't plan to root it, it is good enough otherwise..

Unless you're planning on rooting I wouldn't plan on buying one of these. Seems like B&N are in a world of hurt right now. Unless these have turned around somewhat recently the Nook market longevity is questionable.

I will be downtown next to this store tomorrow. If someone wants one, pm me.

Tax in Chicago is ~ 10% so that would make it $165. Figure US shipping in continental US is probably $10-$15.

Throw in $20 for my time to go over there and that is your price. Could also try calling the store directly to see if they'll ship to you....

The hardware is good, but the stock software on these is complete garbage. Don't even think about it unless you were planning to root it or you already have a bunch of content from the B&N store.

Great tablet hardware at a great pricepoint though. B&N probably could have sold twice as many of them if they just sold them with stock Android like the Nexus comes.

oh, wish I haven't seen this thread.
I've got an original nook (bought used a long time ago from a friend for $75) and love it.

Went to my local B&N here in Phoenix and this deal is dead in Phoenix Metro now....Should of not waited so long.

And now the Full Google Play store is on the nook HD (and +) so no more side loading!

I updated my wife's NookHD today. Googleplay is a app on the device.
This is going to make these fly off the shelves.
price is now 149$ till 5/12 for mothers day.
I might get one and upgrade from 1st gen nook.

these are pretty nice, but i dont like the mono speaker, and placed on the backside. that is not a very good combination.

According to reviews, it is not a mono speaker but two speakers under one speaker grill.

There are some $90 off Nooks coupons from Barnes and Noble, if there is anyone kind enough to send me one of the codes it would make my Mother's day!

Just go to nook.com, all Nook HDs are new/official crazy cheap through mothers day.

$149 HD, $179 HD+ (16GB)

Was at Target this evening, they have the HD+ 32GB for $199 in store (cheaper than $209 nook.com)

Great timing, my touchpad just died. In for the HD+.

I just picked up the Nook HD+ for $179. Does anyone's Nook HD+ get warm on the lower right side back after some use? Also does the charger make a small hissing sound when charging?

Minor quibbles, but I want to be sure I'm not alone. Thanks!

Unless you're planning on rooting I wouldn't plan on buying one of these. Seems like B&N are in a world of hurt right now. Unless these have turned around somewhat recently the Nook market longevity is questionable.

Considering B&N just put the Play store in an update the device longevity is looking pretty decent.

Yea I love the device (ex the 2 minor quibbles above). Google Play store makes huge difference and the screen is awesome. I'm probably going to sell my Nexus 7 this week because of the HD+.

I love Android. What I dont like are these damn tablets that come out with a massively gimped version of Android. And to really make the tablet useful, you need to root, then install custom Roms, and make sure you dont brick the device through the whole process.

Pisses me off. I went through it, but wont do it anymore. Once Android hardware and software match up well without taking time to modify the software just to use the hardware, Ill get one.

Until then, Ill stick with my Ipad.

I just picked up a 8.9 Nook HD+ 32gb for $179.99 at Best Buy. I asked for the 16gb one, she got a box, rung it up and it showed 199 and I said I thought it was $179 and she said don't worry I'll fix the price. I got to the car and looked at the box and didn't realize it was a 32gb. Anyway, it looks like the 32 is ringing up a 199 at Best Buy instead of 209.

I picked one up from B&N for this price yesterday. My thoughts - overall, really good deal. This is really good hardware held back by the version of Android on it (ICS instead of Jelly Bean). Beautiful big, clear vibrant 1920x1080 (retina class) display, fairly decent powerful dual core CPU, surprisingly good sound, and now it has Google Play so it's a "real" tablet.

What I don't like: proprietary connector cable with no 3rd party manufacturers means you have to buy extras from B&N, and they hit you for $15 a pop (to be fair, that includes the wall wart too, whereas on the Apple store, a lightning cable by itself is $19 - however, with Apple, you can get 3rd party lightning cables for cheap).

One thing you can do is get a microSD card (several vendors) that you can boot from and presto - you've got the near-latest version Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 without having to "root" the tablet or void your warranty or anything, and it seriously upgrades the experience (pretty full Android front end instead of B&N's cut down version, smoother scrolling, etc). Downside: can't use the integrated tablet memory, only the microSD card's memory (hey, they're cheap - get the 16GB tablet and buy a 32GB microSD card to go with it for ~$20 somewhere).

My son's Nexus 7 "feels" faster, but again, a LOT of that is its running Jelly Bean and not ICS as opposed to the hardware (Tegra 3 Quad vs TI Dual Core, pushing only 1280x800 pixels instead of 1920x1080) according to people who've tried the CynogenMod 10 boot.

Having said that, it's still good with the B&N ICS interface now that Chrome and Google Play and all that's there now and I'm glad I got it at that price. Make sure you get non-glare screen protectors for this thing; it is seriously reflective...

I'm hoping for a price drop or new Nexus 7 model at Google I/O, I need a new tablet but prefer 9/10" size.

Back