Nook Color E-Reader

msny

2[H]4U
My wife wants one of these for reading. We also like the idea
that it supports wi-fi, email & browsing. We travel some, and this
would be handy in airports ect.

The black & white e-ink seems to have better readability then the color
from what I've read. Is this a big deal?

Has anyone used BOTH of these, so which do you prefer?

The price point on both seems reasonable, and is not a concern.

If you get it, root it.

Also, have you considered a used iPad 1?

I've used both and it really depends what you're going to be reading. If its just novels/pure text then the e-ink version does work better, is more portable, and has a much better battery life. If your wife wants to read PDF files or use the magazine or web browsing features then you'd definitely want to go with the Color version.

The suggestion to consider an original iPad isn't a bad idea either if you want to web browse and use other apps as much as read. Between my wife and I, we have all three devices and they all have their particular uses. The Nook readers are both more portable which is a big plus depending on what exactly you want to carry it in.

my daughter wants one so im curious about feedback but also about if there are parental controls available on it....or am i going to have to root it and hack the browser to only go certain places?

Hmmm, I had not considered an iPad1 or 2 at all.

We already have 3 home computers, and I sold a notebook
last year cause it became a hassle to travel with IMHO.

Since the iPads are only slightly smaller then a notebook anyways
I dont want the hassle again..or do I?

She wants just a reader and NOT a mini-computer. Besides the 7" to 8" readers
fits in her purse easily, and for travel, she can carry it....;)

If it were ME, I would buy the iPad...I'm very torn at this point.
Hard to give her good advice, cause I'm in IT and tech savy, she isn't.

Guess we will just have to travel to a store and compare them in person now...:)

I haven't used the e-ink, but I used to own an ipad1 before it was stolen and I now have a nook color. In my opinion the text is noticeably more clear on the nook than the ipad. If you're interested in reading I'd say the nook's portability and readability outshine the ipad's possible benefits.

you can run android from an sdcard (or install it with little muss and fuss) on the nook so that obliterates the ipad in terms of each devices' respective capabilities.

If you are into email and browsing, look into the iPad. If budget isn't an issue, pick up an iPad 2.

So side by side, which is the BETTER reader...iPad(1 or 2) vs Nook Color?

Need more imput, you guys are making it hard....!...:eek:

I used ipad1 for a year and nc for a week. nc hands down as a reader. ipad2 has the same screen as ipad1 so I think it would be the same.

not sure what else I can tell you other than which one I found to have the more crisp screen for reading. what more information would you like? in the end, the only person who can decide for you is you or your wife.

not sure what else I can tell you other than which one I found to have the more crisp screen for reading. what more information would you like? in the end, the only person who can decide for you is you or your wife.

I know, so its off to the store to compare side by side.

I do appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I have both nook classic and nook color. Get the eink Nook (touch) if you read mostly novels/text. Get Nook color if you want a tablet like experience, or read more PDFs. I find myself being able to read a lot faster on the nook classic than on nook color. Plus I can read longer without fatigue. I like both for different reasons.

So we decided on the IPad2 and I'm using it right now.
After comparing with the Nook Color it was easy
cause we can use the Nook for iPad books and get the best
from both worlds.

Last edited:
ipad2 is an awesome device but now it sounds like you're going to be its primary user, though :D

I've used both the original e-ink nook and the nook color. Both are great devices. E-ink is hands down better for long reading sessions. The nook color starts to get fatiguing after about half an hour.

Back