Nooby Question: PC2-8500 and CPUz

Phrik

Gawd
I thought the Corsair Dominator 8500C5Ds are PC2-85000... but why is CPUz reporting it's max bandwidth as PC2-6400

...is it because I haven't OCed it to 1066 ?

Just wondering...

I don't really have an answer, but I've seen CPU-Z report higher than PC2-6400 before and it's not because you aren't overclocking them. It should display max bandwidth anyway because that tab is for memory information.

Did you try a newer version?

I don't really have an answer, but I've seen CPU-Z report higher than PC2-6400 before and it's not because you aren't overclocking them. It should display max bandwidth anyway because that tab is for memory information.

Did you try a newer version?
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure CPU-z only supports officially sanctioned ratings, and there isn't anything above 6400. It might allow 1066 if you are actually running the RAM at or above that speed just because of how popular it's gotten, but I'd be surprised.

"Q: How do you program the SPD of XMS parts?

A: Programming the SPD of our XMS parts is a bit problematic. The industry-standard specifications for the SPD values of XMS parts are often not yet defined by JEDEC (the appropriate standards organization) when the parts are introduced. In order to maintain compatibility with the multitudes of motherboards and BIOS revisions out there, the SPD values are programmed at the fastest available parameters defined by JEDEC. The SPD values are defined in the matrix below. Note, though, that in ALL CASES the Corsair part number (which contains the XMS speed grade) is programmed into the SPD as well."
http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=54052

Basicly look at the Memory tab for actual memory speed. The JEDEC doesn't have a PC8500 rating.

CPU-Z only reports up to JEDEC specifications. The highest JEDEC specification is PC2-6400, thus your PC2-8500 won't show up.

My PC3-8500F shows up
Bandwidth.jpg

Congratulations, but thats cuz its DDR3.

Where talking about DDR2 here. JEDEC does not a have a PC8500 spec for DDR2 so the OP's DDR2 PC8500 won't show up in CPU-Z as PC8500.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah... so JEDEC is like the standards. Now I got you... cheers for that info mate !

the spd is what the memory runs at by default when you put it in your motherboard, once you up the volts and put it too its rated speeds, click the memory tab to get the real speeds

Teknokid is leading you in the right direction. CPU-Zs ability to output has absolutely nothing to do with JEDEC spec. Under the MEMORY tab, CPU-Z shows you what speeds and timings the memory is actually running. Under the SPD tab CPU-Z shows you what preprogrammed sets of timings are on the memory.

In this case, the memory is designed to boot at DDR800 (aka PC6400) and at conservative timings and low voltage so that it can accomodate a wide variety of MOBOs. To get DDR1066 and at the rated timings and voltage, you have to either:
1. Set these parameters manually or
2. If you have an Nvidia based board that CORRECTLY uses SLI Ready EPP presets, you can use these presets for your memory.

Teknokid is leading you in the right direction. CPU-Zs ability to output has absolutely nothing to do with JEDEC spec. Under the MEMORY tab, CPU-Z shows you what speeds and timings the memory is actually running. Under the SPD tab CPU-Z shows you what preprogrammed sets of timings are on the memory.

In this case, the memory is designed to boot at DDR800 (aka PC6400) and at conservative timings and low voltage so that it can accomodate a wide variety of MOBOs. To get DDR1066 and at the rated timings and voltage, you have to either:
1. Set these parameters manually or
2. If you have an Nvidia based board that CORRECTLY uses SLI Ready EPP presets, you can use these presets for your memory.

Ooooh... presets, I like presets. Googl'ing now.... but if anyone knows of any please let me know !

Cheers !

I've been playing around yesterday with this to at least get 1066. At least a 1:1 ratio. This is my first time OCing. Read many instructions. Googled. Now I can't even remember what I did yesterday. But it just won't POST, at all !

Any suggestion how to get that 1066. ? mean it's a pretty waste buying a 1066 module and only use it as a PC2-6400.

Help me ?!

Here are my Corsair Dominators 8500C5D's..

XFX680iLT-QX67003.jpg

I have done alot of testing of 1:1 vs. setting a divider and HIGHLY increasing the FSB. Everest Ultimate reports FAR better perfomance on setting a divider and increasing that FSB (especially at 400+ FSB).

I'm really going blind now.... I can't really tell on your screenshot.

Your mem. frequency says 533 right ? Is it that 1:1 ? What's your settings dude ? Please let me know...!

A more detailed account of your bios settings that relate to voltages, CPU, and memory would be helpful here. Also, you can try:

Clear CMOS
Reboot and set to unlinked mode
Set RAM timings manually to 5,5,5,15
Set voltage manually to 2.2v
Save settings and reboot

Did all that now, CPUz still states 400MHz. Sorry man, I'm really new in these kinds of stuffs...

It's now:
Frequency 400 mhz
FSB:DRAM 2:3
CAS 5
RAS-CAS 5
RAS 5
TRAS 15
BANK 22
RATE 2T

Am I still missing something ? Thanks dude ! What does SLI-Ready Memory do anyway ? How can I take advantage of that ?

Did all that now, CPUz still states 400MHz. Sorry man, I'm really new in these kinds of stuffs...

It's now:
Frequency 400 mhz
FSB:DRAM 2:3
CAS 5
RAS-CAS 5
RAS 5
TRAS 15
BANK 22
RATE 2T

Am I still missing something ? Thanks dude ! What does SLI-Ready Memory do anyway ? How can I take advantage of that ?

SLI Memory is a preset to run the memory at OCed speeds. You can try that too if all else fails.

However, if you are still using a 2:3 divider you are not running unlinked. You need to set to UNLINKED and manually set the memory speed to 1066 along with the manual timings and voltage I gave you.

If you are going to run a 2:3 divider and want the system to run the memory at 1066, then you need to OC the FSB to 355. 355/2 = 177.5, 177.5 x 3 = 532.5 which can be rounded to 533mhz which is DDR1066.

SLI Memory presets didn't work for me... never got a post.

... I totally forgot to set the speed to 1066, pfff...

Here are the results:
frequency - 533.3
FSB : DRAM -1:2
CAS 5
RAS-CAS 5
RAS 5
TRAS 15
BANK 30
CR 2T

Am I in the right direction as to achieving 1:1 ?

533mhz, yes. So yes, I am running at 1066, but that does NOT necessarily mean I am running at a 1:1 ratio.. I believe I had it set to a 2:3 ratio in the BIOS but CPU-Z read it as a 3:4 ratio.. The KEY is to increase your FSB so I wouldn't concern yourself with the dividers. As long as your ram is running close to spec, then you are fine (ie.. 800mhz, 1000mhz, 1066mhz, etc. depending on your ram).

Back