Noobist needs help building computer

JacobG.

n00b
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
14
hey all,


Im looking to building my own computer and need help on ideas for my computer...basically my computer sucks donkey....so i need ideas and cost of any products given...i will build off my computer...so please help me....no downloads will be accept by me.


ill be using this computer for gaming serous gaming at that....and school work...not much maximum of $1000
 
please give me ideas and tips on this computer stuff im young and stupid not in college...neeed help.
 
WAit for the R520

If you dont want to wait. then this should be the specs:

Atlon 64 FX 55

Radeon X850XT-PE

DFI NF4 Ultra D

1 gig of any (2-2-2-5) ram

Antec trupower 550watt

anything else (Case, etc..) is up to you.

(You said you had a $3000 budget)
 
Frist I would like to give a little ground rules for posting since your new. Please don't double post, I seen that you did that twice on your other thread in the gaming sec. Also please and I mean please do a google search before posting, too many times can questions be answered by a simple google search. And make sure you try hard to put a thread where it belongs.

As for your PC. This is what I would to with 3k to spend.

Case: I picked this Coolermaster Case because its simple, and black and has good modding potential. thats $108
Power Supply: TheAntec True 480 cause I trust the antec power supplies and 480w should be enough power. $94.00
Processor: The
Athlon 64 FX-55 simple cause it rocks. $870.00
Motherboard: The Giga-byte GA-78N good board, with 8-channel audio, and SLI in case you decide you want 2 video cards. Loads of other features too. $150.00
RAM: Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 1gig (512x2) plenty for now, can always upgrade later. $108.00
Main Hardrive: A Western Digital Raptor 74gig fast drive for a fast computer. $182.00
Media Drive: Simply a
Western Digital 250gig not as fast as the raptor, but big. $132.50
Optical Drive: Sony Double Layer DVD Burner mmmm double layer goodness. $54.00
Video Card: BFG 6800GT PCI-Express I say this cause it can be overclocked to match the Ultra and then even paired with another one for great performance. $450.00
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20 inches of LCD goodness, and on sale! $675.00
Keyboard: Logitech Elite Keyboard I got one and I love mine. $25
Mouse: Microsoft Bluetooth sweet mouse. $70.00

Total: $2918.50

With the extra money you can get a couple extra case fans or something like that, so thats what I would buy with 3k to spend on just hardware.

---->edit: Am I retarded or did he change up the price limit on me? Why did I bother...
 
that got diminished by some gay new palnnes for a business trip have to pay for my own rights of passage. Hate my boss. and what you mean by double paste i rewrote all of this lol..thansk for helping.
 
Big Worm said:
Video Card: Albatron GeForce 6600

You found some pretty good stuff Big Worm, but remember he implied he had a monitor so that isn't really needed. Also how is he supposed to do serious gaming with a 6600?

One thing I just never understand is when a gamer skimps on their videocard. I always say "For a gaming PC decide on your videocard first, then CPU and Mobo. Everything else you can cut corners on if neccessary."

I would suggest this:

VideoCard - ATI X800XL - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-509&depa=1 - $294
CPU - A64 3200+ (Winchester) - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-502&depa=1 - $194
Mobo - MSI "K8N Neo4-F" - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-130-491&depa=0 - $89
RAM - Corsair 512MBx2 PC-3200 - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=1 - $99
Harddrive - Hitachi 120gb - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-047&depa=1 - $89
Case and PSU - Raidmax + 420watt PSU - http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-156-148&DEPA=1 - $80
Optical Drive - Existing (if you want something better buy it later).
Monitor - Existing.

Total so far is $845, leaving $155 to get anything else I forgot, or to upgrade a step or 2 on something, like going to a 3500+ CPU, or getting a larger harddrive. Another solid idea at this point would be to buy a Case with no PSU in it then get a seriously good PSU with the extra dough. Maybe something like a PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe (PFC) http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home.htm - $197.

Doing so would pretty much guarantee you don't need to buy a PSU for another 5 years or so unless power demands seriously skyrocket.

 
thanks guys this will really help me along...anymore ideas will be nice like a good game for that lol...jk
 
arentol said:
You found some pretty good stuff Big Worm, but remember he implied he had a monitor so that isn't really needed. Also how is he supposed to do serious gaming with a 6600?

One thing I just never understand is when a gamer skimps on their videocard. I always say "For a gaming PC decide on your videocard first, then CPU and Mobo. Everything else you can cut corners on if neccessary."
[/IMG][/URL]


My bad, thought he was using his existing monitor.

EDIT: wtf... actually he doesnt say anywhere that hes using his current monitor..

I would take a nice 17" LCD with a still decent 6600 over a shitty crt plus top end card any day of the week especially since hes using it for school work.

When your ONLY gaming, I agree, but if you have school work and other shit then you can manage your computer buget a bit more wisely.
 
Big Worm said:
My bad, thought he was using his existing monitor.

Clearly you misunderstood me originally.

EDIT: wtf... actually he doesnt say anywhere that hes using his current monitor..

Nope, but he does say "i will build off my computer", which means he already has a monitor. Now if he had 2k or so to spend I would ask about his monitor and maybe suggest a better one if it's not that good, but with only 1k to spend a new monitor when you already have one is on the bottom of the list.

I would take a nice 17" LCD with a still decent 6600 over a shitty crt plus top end card any day of the week especially since hes using it for school work.

Why you gotta dis the man's monitor like that? We don't know anything about it and your calling it shitty? WTF? Besides, I would take a smokin' PC with a sweet videocard and a shitty (assuming it is) CRT any day of the week over a weak PC and a crappy LCD (all 17" LCD's are crappy in my book, whats the point of them for a gamer?).

When your ONLY gaming, I agree, but if you have school work and other shit then you can manage your computer buget a bit more wisely.

Why crap on your PC build just to get a mediocre monitor? How about handling the situation a little smarter...

Build a nice PC today, and then save up about $500-$600 and get a really, really, nice LCD in a few months. Maybe one of those 21" dell widescreens. Those would kick butt when doing homework, and are sweet for gaming too.

In my opinion you should always buy monitors seperately from the rest of your PC (unless you have a ton of money available). That way you can buy one REALLY nice monitor and keep it for many years, which is much better than replacing your shitty monitor with a mediocre one that you are just going to want to replace soon anyway.

Besides, he didn't ask for monitor advice, he ONLY said he wanted to build a computer. If you think suggesting a monitor made sense then why didn't you put down other peripherals like: keyboard, speakers, mouse, headphones, UPS/Powerstrip, printer (gotta have a printer for school right), etc.?


 
Big Worm said:
I would take a nice 17" LCD with a still decent 6600 over a shitty crt plus top end card any day of the week especially since hes using it for school work.

Whoa whoa whao, LCDs better than a "shitty" CRT? Says who? Even the best LCD monitor with a great response time is still not as good any CRT, more so when you talk about gaming.

And theres nothing wrong with the 6600, you just won't be able to turn the settings all the way to max, but gaming sould be fine.
 
Big Worm said:

Err...939 mobo isn't going to work with 754 processor, dude.
 
Back
Top