• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Noobish question....Maybe?

Bluntablo

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 4, 2004
Messages
113
Just in general, Is it better too leave you PC on all the time, or Shudown when not in use?

Just curious as I have been told both

Peace
 
Bluntablo said:
Just in general, Is it better too leave you PC on all the time, or Shudown when not in use?

Just curious as I have been told both

Peace

Ive heard people say good things about both choices. I dont think it really matters unless your shutting down all the time and turning on.
 
Nowhere near a noobish question. There really is no answer to this question.

I always left my old one on, but my new one has lights and stuff so I have to turn it off or not sleep.
 
Right, there really is no correct answer to this. Cold boots are supposed to place more stress on the various parts of your system, but unless you're constantly shutting down and powering on, it should not be a major concern. I usually leave my desktop on for weeks or months at a time. Lately though, I do move my desktop back and forth between college and home a lot, so it's on for maybe 5 straight days before I shut it down and move it somewhere.
 
I leave both my computers on all the time to fold while I sleep and to heat the house a bit since its winter time.
 
It's actually not safe to keep turning the machine on and off. There's only one reason why - when the die on the CPU gets hot, cold, hot, cold, repeatedly, over time it will crack. The same way my hard drive died because it was used on, off, on, off even though it was used for a good total of 6 months (when its life expectancy was about 5). The same rule applies to houses - if you don't leave the same temperature in the house (e.g. 70 F), you will notice cracks on the walls.

Leaving it on all day will waste electricity constantly - but it'll be in better shape.

If you have an overclocked computer, it's somewhat better to leave it on rather than off (considering it's stable). This is why we "burn in" our hardware for overclocking. Otherwise, you can turn an ordinary workstation PC off when you don't need it.

This is really all subjective though. This was a topic spoke about 2 - 3 years ago in an article based on a discovery found by engineers. Is it still true today? I don't know.

-J.
 
Back
Top