Noobish BOINC questions

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so when I first installed WCG I went ahead and just used the WCG version of BOINC. I have a few questions that center around that.

When the work unit I am currently working on is finished I want to uninstall the WCG BOINC, and install the normal one. Once I have installed the new BOINC I want to be able to do work on several projects if possible. How does all of that work? Do I have to adjust settings within BOINC, the project website, or both? Or, does any of that work at all? Would I have to manually stop work WCG to pick up a SPINHENGE and then stop that to pick up a Cosmology work unit?

Hopefully I worded that well. I know I don't want to spread myself too thin, but I also like the ideas of some of those other projects a lot and would like to help some.

dont uninstall the old.. just install the new one it will use the original work projects.. i think it was alan that recommended me to use gridrepublic.org for the project manager.. also you can use the WCG boinc for this.. you dont have to uninstall it and install the standard boinc client..

sign up to what ever manager site you decide to use.. then in boinc click tools, then something manager (since im already using one i cant remember what it originally said but its pretty straight forward..) then put in the main url to the project manager you decide to use.. eg. www.gridrepublic.org .. and the rest is pretty easy to understand..

use the boinc managers site to add new projects to it.. gridrepublic is seriously the easiest manager to use and ive used a bunch of them..

hopefully this answers your questions..

oh also last part of your question.. the default settings in boinc it will switch between projects every 120 minutes, so say you have 4 different projects , eg seti, WCG, Spingenge, cosmology.. every 120 minutes it will switch to a new project so it will start at seti, 120 minutes later 1 core will switch to WCG, 120 minutes later it will switch to spin..., 120 minutes later cosmo... so on and so on.. you can manually change this in your preferences.. i currently have mine set to 300 minutes since thats about the avg time it takes me to finish a WCG project..

oh also last part of your question.. the default settings in boinc it will switch between projects every 120 minutes, so say you have 4 different projects , eg seti, WCG, Spingenge, cosmology.. every 120 minutes it will switch to a new project so it will start at seti, 120 minutes later 1 core will switch to WCG, 120 minutes later it will switch to spin..., 120 minutes later cosmo... so on and so on.. you can manually change this in your preferences.. i currently have mine set to 300 minutes since thats about the avg time it takes me to finish a WCG project..
To add to that if you are using a quad core and are running 4 different projects each core would have a different project running on it.
A dual core with 4 projects running will switch back and forth like sirmonkey1985 said, but each core will be running a different project.
You can specify in each projects web page preference settings a "resource share" value that can help in giving certain projects more "there turns" to the cpu cores.

Resource share:
Determines the proportion of your computer's resources allocated to this project.
Example: if you participate in two BOINC projects with resource shares of 100 and 200, the first will get 1/3 of your resources and the second will get 2/3.

Thanks guys. I got it started, although I think the server changes at WCG are keeping me from being able to do anything there. So far I have Spinhenge and Cosmology on my gridrepublic projects. I will try again with WCG later.

As a note, when I first went through I put my name as Adam, because it says Name, not Username. I changed it under account settings, but it still says "Welcome Adam" at the top not "Welcome Wheresatom". I hope I am not submitting Spinhenge Projects under the name Adam. That would suck.

On a related note, do I have to go to the Spinhenge and Cosmology websites now and sign up to put me on the [H]ard team?

All of the things already mentioned and more is the real beauty of BOINC. On my main rig that I use for all my DC Commando's work, I'm attached to 40 different projects, and I can "Allow new tasks" or "No new tasks" to switch back and forth what I'm doing if something I see on the Vault needs immediate rectification. Resource shares are another great tool if you're staying with a project long term.

Thanks guys. I got it started, although I think the server changes at WCG are keeping me from being able to do anything there. So far I have Spinhenge and Cosmology on my gridrepublic projects. I will try again with WCG later.

As a note, when I first went through I put my name as Adam, because it says Name, not Username. I changed it under account settings, but it still says "Welcome Adam" at the top not "Welcome Wheresatom". I hope I am not submitting Spinhenge Projects under the name Adam. That would suck.

At the top of the site or your client?

On a related note, do I have to go to the Spinhenge and Cosmology websites now and sign up to put me on the [H]ard team?
Yes, you have to sign up for and join a team on each project individually. But most of the project's sites are identical, so after you do it a time or two you just whiz through it. I should know, I've done it 40 times now, many of which I had to create the team before I could join it. So Razor and I did most of the heavy lifting creating all the teams. :D

edit - I just reread your post, you need to have your accounts setup on the projects before you can put them on your gridrepublic account.

Ok, so I checked and I am signed up on Spinhenge and Cosmology as Wheresatom. The WCG website seems to be up now, and I signed in and did a bit of messing around, but I can't seem to add it at gridrepublic still. I click add, and then I find WCG and i check the box next to the clean energy project and I click add. I enter my username (Wheresatom) and I enter my password (not gonna tell you) and click continue and it just takes me back to the add projects first screen showing seti.

I am using the same username and password as with WCG, you would think that would work right? Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

it should but ill bet wcg's servers are on the frits because its still not accepting my finished projects.. so they may just have the user database up bot not the stats database..

I was able to add WCG when I did my gridrepublic account way back when, so I would have to agree the trouble's on WCG's end.

Edit: And welcome aboard commando #9!

Back