Noob trying to get his server on a public ip

rotteneggz

Limp Gawd
Hello all,
So i am trying to get my server out in the open so i can access it through SSH from remote locations.
Right now my configuration goes as follows:
Cable Modem > Cisco 850 Router > pfsense Router > Server

Why the cisco 850? AFAIK it was supplied by my ISP once i ordered a Static IP address. I think it converts the address from the modem to my Static IP address.

Now i tried pinging my IP from a remote location but i get nothing. Is there something i need to configure on my pfsense router in order to accept incoming traffic from my static Ip?
I forwarded port 22(SSH) to my server's internal IP address but that didnt work.
I'm totally lost, can anyone help?

First opening the SSH port won't automatically allow you to ping the device.
Second which device did you open the port on, the Cisco or the PFS?

I forwarded the port on the PFS router.
I called my ISP and they told me that the cisco router already has all necessary ports opened, this includes port 22.

is the pfsense box setup to allow pings on the WAN IP? Is the Cisco Router NATing your pfSense box? I'm assuming you're getting DCHP address on the WAN interface of the pfSense box, can you determince what that IP is from the GUI or CLI?

is the pfsense box setup to allow pings on the WAN IP? Is the Cisco Router NATing your pfSense box? I'm assuming you're getting DCHP address on the WAN interface of the pfSense box, can you determince what that IP is from the GUI or CLI?

1. I dont really know how to setup my pfsense to allow pings on the WAN IP
2. From what i understand the cisco router is there only for the static IP. I mean all it does is convert the dynamic IP from the modem to my static ip (dynamic>static).
3.No i am not getting DHCP from the cisco router. The wan IP address from the Pfsense router is the Static IP address my ISP provided me. And i think the gateway is the cisco's ip address.

Hello all,
So i am trying to get my server out in the open so i can access it through SSH from remote locations.
Right now my configuration goes as follows:
Cable Modem > Cisco 850 Router > pfsense Router > Server

Why the cisco 850? AFAIK it was supplied by my ISP once i ordered a Static IP address. I think it converts the address from the modem to my Static IP address.

Now i tried pinging my IP from a remote location but i get nothing. Is there something i need to configure on my pfsense router in order to accept incoming traffic from my static Ip?
I forwarded port 22(SSH) to my server's internal IP address but that didnt work.
I'm totally lost, can anyone help?

Do you even have access to the Cisco 850 or it's managed by your ISP?

1. I dont really know how to setup my pfsense to allow pings on the WAN IP
2. From what i understand the cisco router is there only for the static IP. I mean all it does is convert the dynamic IP from the modem to my static ip (dynamic>static).
3.No i am not getting DHCP from the cisco router. The wan IP address from the Pfsense router is the Static IP address my ISP provided me. And i think the gateway is the cisco's ip address.

Okay, well, you need to read the pfSense manual then. By default I don't think allow ping on the WAN interface is enabled. Most firewalls, by default, don't allow that.

I finally got it working. I had to fix up both NAT and Firewall rules to match a port forward from WAN to the internal IP of my server.
Thanks for the help :D

Back