noob to raid

tims880

Limp Gawd
I just setup a raid 0 with 2 150 raptors. That part is good. Now I have a 250 for storage, its got all my stuff on it.
I can get windows to recognize it. All my sata ports are enabled in the bios. When I bring up media shield it shows all 3 drives. But only the stripe shows up in the device manager.
What do I do to fix this? I have searched for hours!

It ain't broke.

OK, edit: What's the problem?

It's normal for drives when raided to no longer appear as individual drives, but rather raid arrays.

If you have a third drive that's RAID-enabled in the BIOS, that might also no longer appear as a regular drive to the OS. You could disable RAID for it to get it back as a regular drive.

I cant acces the third drive. In media shield it list this drive a free drive. The third drive should not be in the raid array?:confused:

If I understand you, you have 2 drives in RAID 0, and 1 new 250 GB drive, and can't see the 250 GB drive in the OS.

That'll happen when the port that you attached the new drive to set to "RAID enabled" -- the RAID implementation has control over the drive, not the OS directly.

To have it visible as a simple drive, you'd just need to disable RAID for that port in the BIOS.

I tried that. But when I disable any sata port under the raid, it takes away the stripe in the bios. Thus no boot.
Yes you are correct, I have 2 raptors in raid 0 amd 1 hd for storage. It has all my files and music on it. Its not new I had it setup before.
I had 1 raptor and that drive set up. I bought one more raptor do the raid.
Been a complete nightmare!

1. Does the array show up as around 300 GB (maybe around 279 GiB?)
2. Does your BIOS allow you to disable RAID for individual ports instead of entire controllers?
3. Can you list the ports and which drives are connected to them?

If "yes" to 1, "no" to 2 and 3 has all drives attached to nVIDIA ports:

4. If you disconnect the 250 GB drive can you still see the array and boot?
5. If you then reconnect that drive to a Sil port, can you see it? (Sil RAID mode disabled, Sil SATA driver installed if needed).

Edit: Alternative to (5): If (3) shows array going across nVIDIA controllers (e.g. ports 1 and 3), you might try moving it so that the array is on a single controller (e.g. ports 1 and 2) and moving the 250 GB to the other controller, and disabling RAID for that controller.

1. 279 gb
2. Raid-enabled
sata 1 enabled
sata 2 enabled
sata 3 enabled
sata 4 enabled
But if I disable any one of these ports I loose the stripe
3. Sata 1 raptor
Sata 2 raptor
Sata 3 250gb hd
Sata 4 open
4. yes
5. I did that enabled silicon image to sata 2 and connected the 250 to it, no boot!

Oh by the way Thank You very much for spending your time trying to help me!:D

Ok I did that and both are showing up in the device manager. But my computer still only shows one drive. Making progress Thanks:D

Woot got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forgot to import it.
Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

But if I disable any one of these ports I loose the stripe

Weird.

5. I did that enabled silicon image to sata 2 and connected the 250 to it, no boot!

Might have been a boot order issue at this point.

Try creating a 1-drive stripe out of the 250g disk.

I've done this a few times myself, but it seems so inelegant, that I'd leave it as a last resort. Well, if it works now, shouldn't break it, I guess :). Bonus points for the OP would probably never have come up with this himself.

Checked boot order!
This works.... do you have a better idea?
Not being a smartass just want to know if there is a better way,
Friggen asus .....my buddy has a A8N with 4 silicon image ports and 4 sata ports.
I have 1 silicon image port. WTF are you supposed to do with that:mad:

Of course your Sil port should be usable. And so should some of your NV ports, as single simple drives. I can't explain why these haven't worked. It makes sense when you have RAID enabled that that port is not usable as a simple drive, but it doesn't make sense that you can't boot when Sil is enabled and boot order is correct and that you lose all RAID when you disable a single unrelated port.

Well, you have a solution now, and it's probably not worth worrying about different ways to configure it which would probably have no practical impact.

Going forward, you might want to think about an external backup of some sort so that if problems happen, you have some other way of getting any important files back.

Back