blackacidevil
Gawd
- Joined
- Oct 1, 2004
- Messages
- 757
Thread title says it all. I've been building AMD-based systems for 10 years now - first chip was a 380Mhz K6-II. The last was an X2 5000+ Black Edition. Decided it was time to move onto "blue-er" pastures.
Picked up an Asus P5E (x38) mobo with an E8400.
Didn't feel like losing all my games, videos, pics, files etc so I didnt bother with a clean install of Windows - just let it detect the new hardware changes. I swear I've gotten more BSOD's this evening than I have in a full year of running Vista. But I learned my lesson and will be picking up a new harddrive tomorrow for a fresh install. Have not yet decided if I want to stick with Vista or go back to XPPro, but that's another debate.
With AMD's, OC'ing was easy. Just set the FSB and/or multiplier and voila. Pretty much done with minor tweaking of course needed here and there.
This Intel stuff is confusing.
Transaction Booster? Huh?
FSB Strap to Northbridge?
1:1 or whatever ratios?
I picked up the E8400 due to several reviews about it's overclocking potential. I did not buy this chip to run it at stock - i dont believe anyone else here who owns it did so as well.
I would love some help and getting me started (after a fresh Windows installation of course!) Thanks!
Asus P5E (X38) (Maximus Formula actually printed on mobo though)
Running latest BIOS 0702
Intel E8400
Scythe Katana2 cooler
2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC-8500 (1066Mhz) 2.2v
Radeon HD3870 with TT DuOrb @ 850/1251
Antec Quattro 850W PSU
Well I managed to get it to 3.6. Voltage seems high though?
3DMark06 score with AMD - 9792
3DMark06 score with Intel - 12202
Picked up an Asus P5E (x38) mobo with an E8400.
Didn't feel like losing all my games, videos, pics, files etc so I didnt bother with a clean install of Windows - just let it detect the new hardware changes. I swear I've gotten more BSOD's this evening than I have in a full year of running Vista. But I learned my lesson and will be picking up a new harddrive tomorrow for a fresh install. Have not yet decided if I want to stick with Vista or go back to XPPro, but that's another debate.
With AMD's, OC'ing was easy. Just set the FSB and/or multiplier and voila. Pretty much done with minor tweaking of course needed here and there.
This Intel stuff is confusing.
Transaction Booster? Huh?
FSB Strap to Northbridge?
1:1 or whatever ratios?
I picked up the E8400 due to several reviews about it's overclocking potential. I did not buy this chip to run it at stock - i dont believe anyone else here who owns it did so as well.
I would love some help and getting me started (after a fresh Windows installation of course!) Thanks!
Asus P5E (X38) (Maximus Formula actually printed on mobo though)
Running latest BIOS 0702
Intel E8400
Scythe Katana2 cooler
2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC-8500 (1066Mhz) 2.2v
Radeon HD3870 with TT DuOrb @ 850/1251
Antec Quattro 850W PSU
Well I managed to get it to 3.6. Voltage seems high though?
3DMark06 score with AMD - 9792
3DMark06 score with Intel - 12202