NOOB to cable making, troubles with plastic center....

Ghost7

n00b
I ordered some cable (CAT 6), a crimper, and some ends to play around with. Except, this cable has a plastic piece in the center, and the other cables that I messed around with before didn't (I had successfully made cables before I ordered some bulk). I cut the center plastic piece out, but then I can't arrange the wires to get them into the guide, because the plastic keeps them from moving. I've seen pictures of cable guides on the net where the wires go all the way through the guide, then you cut them to length. Is that what I need since this cable has the plastic in the center?

I feel dumb, this was so easy when I was using wire without the little plastic piece in the middle....

Just remove more of the core.
The RJ45 plugs with the seperation bars are nice but IMO aren't necessary unless you are going 10gB. The crosstalk between the pairs really won't be noticable unless you are going high speed or are in a high-noise environment. If you do still use the bar, though, just cut the wires to even length before pushing them into the bar, then push it hard into the plug until you see all the ends hitting the back. Good luck.

Thread necro with not much to add. CAT6 in 2005 must have been a pretty penny!

Back