Noob raid 5 repartioning question

bushdiverq

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
85
I currently have my PC setup running a raid 5 config with one partion. On this partition i have Windows XP up and running. I am about to purchase Vista and i would like to setup my pc to dual boot. Is there any software(maybe partition magic) that can split the logical partion of my raid 5 to allow dual booting? I really dont want to reinstall windows XP at this time.
 
I gathered info from this threadhttp://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1147936

They were using raid 0. It stated that you could use partition magic to resize partitions etc. I guess i will try it and post my outcomes. unless someone stops me and points me into a different direction before i get my 64bit Vista disk.
 
GParted will likely do it, provided that you have defragmented the partition, so that the end of it is free of data. GParted has a liveCD, so you don't need to install anything. It's free too. However you may be limited with its driver support for the RAID-5 array that you have.

Aside: How is R-5 working out as the OS partition? I have generally heard people suggesting against running R-5 for the OS due to the slow random write performance.
 
I heard it's bad to put your os on a raid 5 parition because if you need to use any help utilties or or os goes down you need to find your raid card drivers to be able to find the partition and fix it. I would suggest a pass through disk for os install. Slow write speeds is only depending on your raid card, i can sustain around 200mb/s with my raid card.
 
Slow write speeds is only depending on your raid card, i can sustain around 200mb/s with my raid card.

Yes, but that's sequential writes and the OS disk isn't known for doing those.
 
Back
Top