noob questions for new htpc build.

nst6563

2[H]4U
In the near future, I'll possibly be building a new HTPC but am curious as to the ffdshow postfilter that can be applied to sharpen the picture, reduce noise, and resize amongst other things. My question is would this motherboard and this cpu

plus an un-determined video card be a good match? I'm not going to super high quality components here. I picked a motherboard with optical out since I'll just be passing the signal to a Sony ES receiver. Since it'll just be decoding dvd's and other video formats, I didn't think I'd need a super fast cpu...however, I tried to use ffdshow to postprocess a dvd on my main machine (see sig...ran it at 3.6Ghz to mess with ffdshow) and when resizing the video to HD resolution, it choked and was basically in slow motion...so I don't have much hope for that...just the sharpening and de-noise filters (which I noticed after tweaking the settings, made a huge difference on my monitor).

I'm on a bit of a budget, so the components wont be the best...but I'd like something that will handle the job with ease. I'm also new to AMD (going that route b/c price) so if that mb and cpu combo won't work...yell at me ;)

I was also thinking of the ATI HD remote wonder...is there anything better? The output is going to a Sony HDTV with component in (no DVI).

also...what's the best DVD software for this? I've messed with Powerdvd, Zoom, TheaterTek, WinDVD and so far I seem to like Zoom the best.

thanks for info! and sorry for the noobness on this subject.

if you're planning on doing a Linux HTPC then you need to avoid Via motherboards at all costs. should be fine for a windows box.

nst6563 said:
In the near future, I'll possibly be building a new HTPC but am curious as to the ffdshow postfilter that can be applied to sharpen the picture, reduce noise, and resize amongst other things. My question is would this motherboard and this cpu
Better CPU because it's cooler: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-440&depa=0
And I'd get a DFI Infinity instead of that, better for a Mobile CPU. BTW I'm using a 35w 2400+ at 2.525Ghz and an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with a BFG 5700U (OCed as well) for some FFDShow fun.

...however, I tried to use ffdshow to postprocess a dvd on my main machine (see sig...ran it at 3.6Ghz to mess with ffdshow) and when resizing the video to HD resolution, it choked and was basically in slow motion...so I don't have much hope for that...just the sharpening and de-noise filters (which I noticed after tweaking the settings, made a huge difference on my monitor).
The reason why it was like a slideshow is because you need to tweak it some, give me a PM and I can send you my config to give you a good starting point (my current uploader doesn't allow anything but images right now). :)

I was also thinking of the ATI HD remote wonder...is there anything better?
[/quote[
Yeah a kick to the nuts or....
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/fusion3qt.asp
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/mdp120.asp

also...what's the best DVD software for this? I've messed with Powerdvd, Zoom, TheaterTek, WinDVD and so far I seem to like Zoom the best.
I'd say either TheaterTek or Zoomplayer, since you like Zoom go with that then.

I really like theatertek, but I can't get sound to work on it. video seems to work fine, but sound just doesn't seem to work no matter what..

what speed of cpu would you recommend for ffdshow to resize and also run sharpening and blur/nr filters? should a 1.8Ghz mobile P4-M w/512mb ram do it?

Yep, if you're going to overclock i don't think that Abit KT600 is a proven winner. It may not have all the correct bios settings to rev up that cpu.

Nforce2 ought to fit the bill. Here's a list of NF2 mobo's from best to slightly worse oc'ing prowess

1) DFI infinity
2) Abit NF7-S version2 (don't buy any other variation)
3) Asus A7N8X deluxe
4) Shuttle AN35N Ultra (easily the cheapest but least onboard goodies)

There are other good NF2 oc'ers but these seem to be the most popular. Often found on newegg refurbs as well. Funny that we're speaking of cpu mhz and ffdshow, this weekend i may be swapping my mobo with a biostar M7NCG 400 so i can squeeze out a couple hundred extra mhz from my barton XP.

Have fun :)

nst6563 said:
I really like theatertek, but I can't get sound to work on it. video seems to work fine, but sound just doesn't seem to work no matter what..

what speed of cpu would you recommend for ffdshow to resize and also run sharpening and blur/nr filters? should a 1.8Ghz mobile P4-M w/512mb ram do it?
As much as you can get, lol. Sharpen and noise reduction aren't that hard on the CPU though, what settings are you using?

CrimandEvil said:
what settings are you using?

the settings I'm using are:
Sharpening is moved to the top of the list. Using XSharpen. Strength =30
Blur & NR is right below sharpening, using dnoise3d. luma = .5, chroma = .5 and time = 5

That's it on the laptop. On my desktop, I have those same settings plus resize & aspect:
process whole image
Muliply by 2
Always resize
keep original aspect ratio
and under settings, I have it set to "simple resize". I tried Lanzcos as was mentioned on the HTPC site I was browsing...but it looked like poo.

Check your email and post what happens. :)

To load the settings go to "image settings" and then "read from file" and find where you DLed the settings too.

tried those settings and was pleasantly surprised :)
thanks!

So if I got a DFI Infinity, a mobile XP 2200+ (and overclocked it a bit), 512mb ram, and the Chaintech Envy24T card with Optical out, that should be good enough to run ffdshow at those settings correct? I'd like to run them at 1080 format, but maybe that's just asking too much.

What video card should I get for the job? do any of them output in the HD component setup? I know ATI has the adapter, but I've heard of some shortcomings of that not being able to output at the 1080 res (this true??). I've got a 9600xt, but for the HTPC machine, I was thinking of something cheap but good quality.

And what HDTV card would you recommend. I've seen a few out there, but I'd like to connect cable AND OTA to it at the same time. Or would I just have to use a multiplexor for that (if that would even work) like mixing cable and sat signals over the same coax.

thanks for the help!

Back