Noob Questions about socket 1155

WAterTriAd

n00b
I've dabbled in OC'ing my comps for a while, usually as an end of life solution to a get a couple more months out of the machine, but this is the first time I'm planning on doing it from the get go so I've got some noob'ish questions.

I picked up an MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) Motherboard and a 2600K processor (because I have the room in my budget). I've got an XFX 6950 2gig flashed to a 6970 that's been working great for the last couple of months.

What I'm looking for now is a nice CPU Heatsink and I was thinking of going with the ZEROtherm ZT10D with a COOLER MASTER R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 fan and that's left me with a few questions.

The ZT10D only shows compatibility with socket1156 and not 1155, however it's my understanding they use the same mounting setup. Is mounting this cooler going to be a problem on this socket 1155 board? That's kind of two fold as I'd also like to know if there will be a space issue with this motherboard as well, I have a big old antec tower so I doubt there will be any space issures with the case.

The heatsink will be only an inch or two from the 120mm exhaust fan that's currently setup to to pull air out of the case anyway so should I go with a 1 or 2 fan setup on the heatsink?

Finally, will I need any special mounting equipment to attach the fan(s) to the heatsink? I only ask because neither the fans nor the heatsink seem to show the equipment or how the fans mount to the heatsink. (I'm assuming no here, but I'd like to know regardless so I can order it at the same time if I'm wrong).

I realize the questions might seem fairly obvious, but some answers would really ease my mind before I drop another $100 on this monstrosity.

Thanks;
_WAter_

yes the mounting holes for both 1155 and 1156 are the same.

any retail heatsink should come with hardware to mount a fan to it (if it doesnt already come with a fan). any decent e-tailer will list details like this in the items description or pictures. you can post a link if you have a question about a specific one.

Back