Noob Question

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
FINALLY going to start cable mngmnt on my Antec 900, The 1st step for me is to hide cables on the back side. What is the prefered tape to use to hold em down? Electrical?

Whatever will keep them there. I have seen duct tape and electrical tape. Electrical tape doesn't have the same grip as other tapes but people feel its safer to use. I prefer scotch tape because it doesn't leave a nasty goop on my cables when I take it off.

Motherboard tray should have plenty of places for the zip ties to hold the wiring flat and no tape gunk on your nice sleeving/wiring/case.

I use electrical tape personally, but I have found that one must use zip ties over the electrical tape at the ends or else the tape starts to unravel over time once the heat in the case melts the adhesive a little.

Like posted above... any tape can make your system messy over time. atleast you can take a ziptie off and it will never look like it was there.

Me= ziptie machanic!

I used a combo of electrical tape and zip ties on my 1200 with the provided tabs. Some of the PSU cables are hard to pin down so for those I used ties.

1.Go to home depot
2.Get zip tie anchors(100 for 10 bucks) there flat and have adhesive backs.
3.Mount them in desired spots
4.Put a zip tie through them
5.Enclose cables in the zip tie
6.Grab a beer and have a cigarette

cable.jpg

Thanks for all the answers guys. You have me on the right track!

Next question. If I want to cut some holes. What is the best tool to use for a noobie.

Dremel.

Good luck with that antec 900.....it does require some tinkering for cable management

As mentioned above... for modding every toolbox should include a Dremel and a some cutting disks, as well as a step drill bit. I have a few of the Unibits and I use them all the time for metals... they're the perfect tool when you need them, but they can be a bit pricey if you're only going to use it once.

I need to start that too, at the moment, i have all my psu cables laying at the bottom and its not easy on the eyes :p.

As mentioned above... for modding every toolbox should include a Dremel and a some cutting disks, as well as a step drill bit. I have a few of the Unibits and I use them all the time for metals... they're the perfect tool when you need them, but they can be a bit pricey if you're only going to use it once.

Harbor Freight is a good source for those "only going to use them once" tools... cheap and cheerful but not something you'll want to take with you to a job site :) $12.99 for a two-bit (literally and figuratively) set.

you guys suggest a good dremel set ?

There are all types of sets you can get with so many different attachments, but as for the tool itself I would recommend one with a variable speed... these are more versatile if you plan to use it for various tasks. I would NOT recommend you get a cordless one because the batteries run down pretty quick when cutting through metals, etc. To cut the steel on your case all you will really need is some cutting disks (I always use the heavy duty ones). Sanding and grinding bits are good to finish up the edges, but nothing a good old hand file couldn't handle. Hopefully this helps a little :)

Thanks, but can u suggest oen or a brand by chance. I'm clueless about tools. I use to use my step dads, but hes been in Uk for 2 years now so... :)

For what you're wanting to do, this would be fine and the price is good. Dremel is the brand of rotary tools I use... there's also some others by Black & Decker, etc. but I like Dremel the best personally. The one I linked to is a two speed (15,000 or 35,000 rpm) which would be fine for cutting steel cases. There are more expensive ones that do more if you want to make an investment here, but if all you're going to do is use it for case modding... then this is a great choice. I've never used mine past 35,000 rpm and I've cut all kinds of things with it :p

velcro is 100% better than zip ties. No sharp edges, easy to remove, easy to add new wires to functional groups / bundles, looks better, reusable etc.

http://www.officesupplieslane.com/mmm4010.html

This stuff right here, 4010 is tape sent from god for case modders. It's almost completely invisable, extremly strong, and even easier to remove when you no longer need it. Leaves no residue either, so years down the line you can peal it off and it won't leave any adhesive behind.

http://www.officesupplieslane.com/mmm4010.html

This stuff right here, 4010 is tape sent from god for case modders. It's almost completely invisable, extremly strong, and even easier to remove when you no longer need it. Leaves no residue either, so years down the line you can peal it off and it won't leave any adhesive behind.

I first heard about this from Bill Owen over at MNPC Tech... been using it ever since... great stuff.

Back