Noob Question on E6600

BIOS9

n00b
I was looking at my CPU-Z specifications and while my E6600 is supposed to be running at 2.4 ghz, under the "clocks" section the core speed reads

Core Speed 1601.8 MHz
Multiplier x6.0
FSB 267MHz
Bus Speed 1067.9 MHz

Is there something I'm just not getting here? Is my processor really running at 1.6 GHz?

Thanks.

It might be running at 1.6GHz if Speed Step is enabled. In your BIOS it may be listed as EIST.

Thank you so much. The option was actually called EC1 or something like that but I disabled it and everything is fine now. Hard to think I have been running this thing underclocked for months now :rolleyes:

Thank you so much. The option was actually called EC1 or something like that but I disabled it and everything is fine now. Hard to think I have been running this thing underclocked for months now :rolleyes:

Its not a bad thing. It will go to it normal speed if that power is needed. When you are just browsing the net, doing word processing, etc it will idle down to save on power and lower heat output. When you are playing a game, video converting, anything that needs a good amount of CPU power, it will clock back up with out you even noticing. Leave it on, its a good feature.

Yup, you have not been losing performance at all really.

It idles up and down as needed on its own :)

really?

i have a pentium d

ill check the bios

Yeah its there. Just use CPU Z. Look at the multi. You should at least see it change when you start CPU Z. If not just load something and it should change to a higher multi.

not just that but you also need to set the power profile to latop in order to make use of it on older mobos not sure about c2d setups

not just that but you also need to set the power profile to latop in order to make use of it on older mobos not sure about c2d setups

You can also create a custom power profile to do this. You do not necessarily need laptop settings.

Back