noob question: clone isn't working, quite

Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
53
Hi!

Just received my samsung 840 in the mail today.
Trying to install it...

The BIOS immediately saw the hard drive.
Windows 7 did not see it... so I found "computer management" and did something there. I didn't ever actually format it... and google searches seemed to indicate that that would be unnecessary.

Restarted.

Windows 7 still doesn't see it as a drive in "my computer."

Oh well

Proceeded with clone. Used EaseUS to clone the whole drive, from my older, smaller drive, to the new 840. Figured this should copy EVERYTHING, 1 for 1, so if windows was installed on my old drive, windows will be installed and boot up from my new drive.

Restarted; set the 840 as the first boot drive in bios. Started fine.
Removed old ssd, restarted with 840 as the first boot drive still. Didn't boot up... Windows couldn't find something.

Reinstalled old drive, assigned 840 as primary boot drive again in bios, started fine again.

Occurs to me that if it can't boot from the 840, it might be going next in line to the old hard drive. Oddly, if I accidentally list my 1tb disk drive as first to be booted from, it just comes up with an error-- dunno why this time, it would go to the next in line and succeed. Oh well.

Checked in computer management, and the new drive is listed as drive B:, a "primary partition"
The old drive is listed still as C:, "boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition"

So is there some reason the new, cloned ssd can't be used to boot from? It should have everything the old drive has!
Did I need to format it before cloning?
Or some other missed step?

thanks!
-Bernard
 
failure was "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

however, I got my copy of windows 7 through my school, 2 years ago-- I no longer have a boot disk, if I ever did: might have been a download. Don't remember.
I otherwise might have considered a clean install: but this is why I opted to clone the hard drive.
So any solution, will have to not require a boot/system disk (unless I can make one)
 
the original drive has a 100mb partition marked: Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
the cloned drive has a 100mb partition marked: Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

fwiw.
 
still struggling with this!

I looked up "disk boot failure..."
and was advised to make a system repair disk, which I did.

I set the cdrom as the primary boot, loaded the repair disk, which could not find any operating system...
I tried the solutions given here: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/66672-no-os-found-disk.html

went through the command prompt. It was NOT clear whether I was supposed to tamper with the 100mb partition, or the main partition-- so I started with the 100mb partition first, then tampered with the larger one, to no avail.

So then I tried what one forum thread said to do, with bootrec:
BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

at least two of these gave "element not found"


Interestingly, after all of this, it no longer says "disk boot failure, insert system disk"
now, it says, "bootmgr is missing"

progress?
 
Well, first of all no hard drive should be listed as "B:", both A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives and Windows wouldn't recognize them (or shouldn't) as actual hard drives.

Sounds like you had a similar issue as me except my boot partition was past the main partition and caused all sorts of problems.

I'd just try Macrium Reflect. Make an image of both partitions on the original SSD and then re-image it within Windows to the 840. Don't assign the drive to be cloned a letter. You have to format it. EaseUS should not have cloned it withing a format. It sounds like you exhausted the same command lines that failed me as well.

Something tells me something went wrong if it's showing your cloned partition as being "System" if you're booting from the old drive. So many things can go wrong as I recently figured myself when it took me 3 months to fully restore my image when my RAID0 crashed. Was not fun to learn whether or not this imaging stuff works correctly and often times has small quirks that can leave you in a rage.

At least yuou do have the original intact. I'd just start off by formatting the new drive entirely, image, re-image to 840, then try again perhaps using a different program.
 
is it a problem that the new drive is B? I cannot rename my name drive C to something else, it won't let me, and then I can't rename B as C, because C already exists. Catch 22.
So I need to successfully boot from the new drive, with the old one out of the picture, before I can rename it.
 
Back
Top