Noob Question about .AVI

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Sorry its a super noob question, but what can I download so that I can watch .AVI files in Windows Media Player. Thanks.

Funky_Junk said:
Sorry its a super noob question, but what can I download so that I can watch .AVI files in Windows Media Player. Thanks.

Do you want .AVI movies to download to watch or are you talking about the codecs?

I already have the movie on my computer, Im just wondering what I can do so that I can watch it in Windows Media Player.

Windows Media Player plays AVI just fine. What is most likely your problem is that you don't have the proper video codec to play the video stream in the AVI (since AVI is just a container).

You can solve this problem several ways.

1.) If you're willing to try new things, get Media Player Classic, a standalone video player. Out the box it can play many formats already, but with the help of FFDShow you can play pretty much anything in existence today. In Windows this is my most preferred and recommended way to play video files, since FFDShow can also postprocess the video.

2.) If you want to use WMP, download Gspot Identifier to find out what codec the video stream of the AVI uses. Then install that codec onto your system.

If it's Xvid or Divx type, get the free xvid codec from here: http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml

Hope that helps.

Back