• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NOOB First Post, need advice please.

Boss

n00b
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Messages
35
Hey guys, I've been a long time reader, but a first Time Poster here!
First of all, there are lots of great, helpful and knowlegeable people here with excellent insight on computer building and design.

I've spent many many hours of reading while building my latest rig, which I'll be using for mainly as an everyday computer for work, watching ripped DVD's BD's, listening to music
, but I also wanted enough power to play the latest games(Crysis, Far Cry2) just in case.

Below is a list of my components and a screenshot of Coretemp, and CPU-z while running the Intel Burn Test on Stress Level 1.
The Current configuration passes:
100% of Intel Burn for 30 tests.
Prime 95 for 16 hours(I don't really have the patience to test any longer than that)
Passes Memtest

Idle Temps are about 35C
My current room temp is about 68F (Gets up to 80F in the summer)

burntesttempslt2.jpg


Antec P182 CASE (All stock Fans On low, added 1 tri-cool LED in the front Middle bay)
Antec TPQ-850 Power Quattro
EVGA 750i FTW
Intel Q6600(GO revision) @ 3ghz 1333fsb (9x333) 1.3875V @ Bios 1.325VID
Thermalright Ultra-120 w/ S-FLEX SFF21F, MX-2 Paste
EVGA GTX260 216 Core
4gb(2x2gb) G.Skill DDR2 PC28000 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 Trc-30 2.1V
1tb Hitachi Deskstar
Vista Home Premium 64-bit


I'd greatly appreaciate any input on if and how I can improve on any of my settings or components.

Thanks,
Boss
 
You might want to try some things to bring your VCC down. 1.3875v for 3.0Ghz seems a bit excessive. Try giving the FSB, MCH and PCIe all a bump in voltage and bring that vCore down. You should be able to run 3Ghz at VID voltage really. Your temps will come down as well.
 
You might want to try some things to bring your VCC down. 1.3875v for 3.0Ghz seems a bit excessive. Try giving the FSB, MCH and PCIe all a bump in voltage and bring that vCore down. You should be able to run 3Ghz at VID voltage really. Your temps will come down as well.
Thanks for the reply, Hydro! I was wondering how so many guys here were stable at lower voltages. Thanks for the advice, I'll try doing that tonight.
 
I run my Q6600 at 3200 Mhz at Stock Voltages without a problem. Just play around with it a bit you should be able to go much higher pretty safely.
 
What are stock voltages for the Q6600? Is that the same as the VID?
 
I am able to run my Q6600 at 9x334 at all stock voltages, 1.168v is what cpu-z reports in windows at idle.
Of course I am on a P35 board with a 1.225vid Q6600 compared to your 750i and 1.325vid cpu.

If you can run stress tests for that long you could start trying to drop the vcore and see how low you can go and keep it stable.
 
Thanks to everyone who have replied so far. I've done some of the things you guys have mentioned. I just tried this setting and passed 3 Intel burn tests. Before I run a more extensive test could you let me know your opinions on the following?

CPU 1.375V
FSB 1.30V
nForce 1.45V
NF200 1.40V

How much can I increase the FSB, nForce, and NF200? When I had the BIOS FSB Voltage on Auto, it was setting it at 1.40, is that ok?
 
Back
Top