Noob at overclocking p4 3.0e

mc_P

Limp Gawd
I been trying to get the most out of my p4 3.0e and i can run it stable at 3.42 but when i try 3.5 or higher i get errors in sp2004 after 3 or so minutes. I was wondering if raising the cpu's vcore will help but i am scared it will kill the cpu or the mobo. oh yeah and im using a stock cooler with as5 and i dont really want to buy another cooler because i rather save my money for other things. I have 1.5gb of ram and its ddr400. the timings are 2-3-3-7 at 2.65v and im running it at 5:4 so its at 182.4mhz right now . Any advice would be appreciated :)

It sounds like your Vcore is too low to achieve 3.5Ghz. What you should do is try raising the Vcore in the SMALLEST amount available on your motherboard at a time. If the smallest uping doesnt do anything, raise it to the next highest and so on. Also, make sure that even if windows boots and runs stabley, that if you try to open the most labor intesive program you have that you still are running when that happens. I know when i did my opteron, this was the case, that it would load windows fine but then as soon as i would open everest or 3dmark06 it would crash because the voltage wasnt high enough.

You wont fry your motherboard, ecspecially on stock cooling, you will go above a comfortable temperature at the core before you kill anything. And if your still uncomfortable, just use my rule of thumb which is to try not to exceed a .2v increase.

Back