non Z-Wave Smart Switch

Domingow

2[H]4U
Hi,
I'm looking for a non Z-Wave 3 or 4 speed wifi enabled smart switch for a ceiling fan.

Ultimately I am not looking for a z-wave solution as this will be a little (lot) more expensive for the application it's needed for. Just want something simple. Currently I have a few Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Light Switch
Cheap, easy to use, simple to install, and the wife factor is good on this product.

IF one does not exist then I will probably jump onboard the z-wave wagon, incorporate the whole-house fan, thermostats, lights, garage door, blinds, water leak monitor, sprinklers...ect; but that's a time commitment I don't have available right now. Maybe in 5 years

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think this is in the wrong section. But you pretty much would want to be in a bandwagon for a "smart switch" or automation control to work.

The choices of bandwagons:
1) Z-Wave
2) Zigbee
3) Works with Nest/Google Weave (which basically runs on Zigbee)
4) Apple HomeKit
5) BT Smart/Mesh (not ready yet)
6) WiFi/IEEE 802.11ah (even lesser ready but will likely win the war because it runs on WiFi. I think they are calling this "WiFi Aware/HaLow.")

I have an Almond+ that works with Z-Wave and Zigbee. It recently added support for Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect, but as I don't have either of those, I don't know how well that works. I highly recommend this, especially if you need a new wifi router anyways.

I also don't recommend HomeKit yet because it requires you to have an AppleTV to do cloud things, and AppleTV can't do 4K?!?!?!?

Last edited:
I think this is in the wrong section. But you pretty much would want to be in a bandwagon for a "smart switch" or automation control to work.

The choices of bandwagons:
1) Z-Wave
2) Zigbee
3) Works with Nest/Google Weave (which basically runs on Zigbee)
4) Apple HomeKit
5) BT Smart/Mesh (not ready yet)
6) WiFi/IEEE 802.11ah (even lesser ready but will likely win the war because it runs on WiFi. I think they are calling this "WiFi Aware.")

I have an Almond+ that works with Z-Wave and Zigbee. It recently added support for Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect, but as I don't have either of those, I don't know how well that works. I highly recommend this, especially if you need a new wifi router anyways.

I also don't recommend HomeKit yet because it requires you to have an AppleTV to do cloud things, and AppleTV can't do 4K?!?!?!?

Don't forget IRIS.

Don't forget IRIS.
Iris is stupid. The $10 a month to create custom grouping of lights is idiotic. Sorry, customers of Iris!

Amazon Echo has a shot of being a really good hub, but I dunno when that would be. I have an Echo, and I love not having to get out of bed or grabbing my phone to turn off the lights. But that's like all it could do for now.

While on the subject of the Echo, Echo integrates with SmartThings Hub. Samsung's SmartThings Hub is like Almond+ that does both Zigbee and Z-Wave, but doesn't work with Nest, officially at least. So I could recommend the SmartThings Hub as well. Since I already have the Almond+, I don't see a point to get the SmartThings Hub, yet.

P.S. Wink is running/has ran out of money. So I don't recommend that either.

So to be clear here, I am not looking for something with centralized management like z-wave et al.

Specifically I would like something simple along the lines of wemo (but not wemo) or Neo. I have Neo and enjoy the simplicity of it. Only down side is it is limited to a simple switch, and power outlet control. If there were something similar to this that would offer a 3-speed wifi app management that would be great. Not looking for hub management.

It looks like the options are limited, perhaps in a year or 2 something will pop up.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Iris is stupid. The $10 a month to create custom grouping of lights is idiotic. Sorry, customers of Iris!

Amazon Echo has a shot of being a really good hub, but I dunno when that would be. I have an Echo, and I love not having to get out of bed or grabbing my phone to turn off the lights. But that's like all it could do for now.

While on the subject of the Echo, Echo integrates with SmartThings Hub. Samsung's SmartThings Hub is like Almond+ that does both Zigbee and Z-Wave, but doesn't work with Nest, officially at least. So I could recommend the SmartThings Hub as well. Since I already have the Almond+, I don't see a point to get the SmartThings Hub, yet.

P.S. Wink is running/has ran out of money. So I don't recommend that either.

I just mentioned Iris's existence. Nothing more. :)

I just mentioned Iris's existence. Nothing more. :)

Thank you.

I looked into a few smart home kits and they all seem on the surface like great contenders. For me it just comes down to the tinker factor, and time involved with setting it up. The Neo was very simple to install--literally plug it in connect a lamp configure the app schedule and thats it. The switch involved the use of a screwdriver and short circuit breaker toggle.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for new products. I guess i'm just a little ahead of the curve on these products.

Back