Non-stop nonsense with Newegg

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
For the love of God, why do I keep giving them another chance? Their service is TERRIBLE!

When I was still in college a few years ago, I stopped ordering from them altogether because they sent me like 3 orders in a row that contained DOA parts. Back then their packaging methods were pretty strange... I remember one time I got a CPU that came in a huge box that could have held a monitor, with like 2 air bubble things in it (I don't mean 2 strips of them, which still wouldn't have been enough to take up all the space in that box, but literally just TWO BUBBLES.) Shocking that it was DOA.

Well, after a couple years I decided to give them another shot. I ordered a few things and first they sent me the wrong PSU so I had to set up a return and re-order it and go through all that nonsense. Then when I was trying to order it I saw the EVGA 1000w for a decent price so I figured what the heck I might as well get one of those while I'm at it. I add it to my cart, and as I'm about to check out, I notice the total is not what I expected. So I check the list of items, and the EVGA is like $30 more than what it said when I saw it in the search results. I tried again and sure enough, it shows the low price in search, but once you add it to your cart it comes up as the higher price. WTF? I contacted support about this and guess what their answer was? Oh yeah we know. We are in the process of changing the price and sometimes it does that. Sorry. It's the higher price.

Just for the heck of it, I checked again A DAY LATER and the item STILL showed a different price in search/browse/etc than what came up when it was added to the cart. Very shady!

Now I'm having an issue with a 290 that I've had for all of like 3 weeks and one of the fans on the cooler died already. MSI told me it would take a month or longer to get me a replacement. So I reached out to Newegg and they were basically like oh you don't have the box? Hahaha we do not have to do anything then. Have a nice day idiot. Now I know what you're thinking - I should have kept the box. Yes I know. But seriously, I order like several thousand dollars worth of computer stuff a year. If I kept every box, I could build a life-size replica of the Empire State Building in about 2 years... Every situation is unique, if they CARED they could have at least tried to work something out with me, even if it meant me paying a small re-stocking fee or whatever. Honestly with the usurious amount of markup they are charging on these cards lately, am I supposed to feel bad for THEM or should it be the other way around???

As an aside, I have returned stuff at MicroCenter WITHOUT EVEN HAVING A RECEIPT! And that's a physical store - their overhead is way higher than Newegg's could ever be.

If they at least had competitive pricing maybe this would be more expected, but come on! They are quickly becoming the most expensive place to buy anything computer-related. I just checked yesterday, when all this was going on, and they had the Sapphire 290 (with the 3-fan cooler on it) for $749 - a whopping HUNDRED DOLLARS more than SuperBiiz. Wow! Do they come deliver it in person and give you a massage while the drivers are installing too??? What? You want another example of the gouging? Check out the EVGA 1000watt PSU - they are now charging 250 DOLLARS! CompSource has this for $169, hell even Amazon has it for 200 from some resellers.

I don't rant on here often (if ever.) Seriously, I am probably forgetting half of the crap they have pulled recently that got me this irritated.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this rotten friggin egg.

Last edited:
I looked on their site earlier for a PSU and ended up buying it (new) off eBay for less money with free shipping.

It seems like they no longer have free shipping for anything, and their base rate shipping is that Eggsaver shit. UPS Ground was $11 for a PSU. I remember when they didn't charge for ground shipping.

I still check things there but I don't only look there, I look elsewhere too. They used to be the cheapest place in town, now they're not (once you add in shipping costs in most cases).

I still like NewEgg, I'll still buy stuff there - if it's cheaper than anywhere else. Otherwise I'm definitely a lot more thrifty and 'window shopping' when I didn't used to be that way.

Yeah their prices suck but also the service is HORRIBLE. It's easy to only think price until you have a problem. I have dealt with countless merchants over the years and believe me, the service aspect matters a lot when you run into a problem.

Between Microcenter, Amazon, Superbiiz (formerly ewiz) and about a dozen other places... there is less and less of a reason for me to even bother looking on Newegg nowadays.

Amazon and MicroCenter have been REALLY good to me... I am just starting to test the waters with Superbiiz, so far so good, only complaint is that their shipping is slow bc I am on the east coast and they ship from CA, but shipping prices are reasonable (and free for some items.)

$11 shipping for a PSU is just obscene, and proof that Newegg is trying to squeeze extra profit out of their shipping... They have multiple warehouses and ship from wherever is closest most of the time so there is really no excuse for $11. Hell they could probably fit a PSU into the "flat rate" boxes.

You think thats bad OP....I HAD the original box when I returned a defective 7970 lightning a few years ago and newegg said the box did not match the cards bar code so they refused my RMA request......They said the actual GPU code matched with what they sold me but the merchandise box did not match up with the card. WHAT THE FUCK!!! I had sent back the exact same shit they sent me!

I am certain they sold me a defective open box return item that they fraudulently represented as a brand new item. How in the hell could there be any other explanation? I ended up having to RMA the card to MSI and then sell the replacement on ebay for a loss.

I had been doing business with them for nearly ten years until they pulled that stunt...Now I go Amazon and provantage for everything. Fuck Newegg. Fuck Newegg in their goat ass.

Last edited:
I don't have a local computer store,so i still use them for certain things. I tend not to get mad over stuff like this though. They probably process thousands of orders a day, and a few mistakes here & there are to be expected. yeah it sucks when its you though. The price thing happens all over, it happens in Retail stores too. and about the 290 card id be mad @ msi, they produced a crappy part but you get mad @ New egg cause they don't bend to your will? cmon breh. and i keep all my boxes for everything computer related.

I tend not to get mad the first time there's an issue but as I said.... this is far from the first time. And when I'm spending $600 bucks on a freaking video card... yeah I expect better service than this. YMMV

Back