Non-reference Sapphire 6970

leonemesis

Limp Gawd
Good day fellas

So, it's been a while I've been looking for info about this sapphire card, according to some press releases it's supposed to be quieter/cooler than the reference design, and I have just found a thread in another forum saying it's actually quieter and overclocks better due to a new PCB.

Here's a pic of the card

Sapphire-HD6970.jpg

I believe it should be no problem posting a link to that thread, so here it is

http://www.overclock.net/ati/979984-sapphire-6970-key-option.html

So I'm just wondering if anyone around here got one and could share your thoughts about the card, because I can't rely on a single opinion of the card to decide whether to buy it or not.

Any info is appreciated. :)

I had one of these for about a week but the noise and heat levels were way more than I could stand so I returned it. It performed fine but the noise level compared to a 5870 Vapor-X (my current card) was very disruptive. The 6970 at 25% fan speed (manually set in CCC) was about the same loudness as the Vapor-X at 50 ~ 60%. Once the 6970 got above 25% fan speed it was in hairdryer territory. Also put out about as much heat as a hair dryer as well, the temps were regularly around 90C under load. I am real sensitive to fan noise so it may be bearable to you.

Currently I am looking at either a PowerColor 6970 PCS+ or the MSI R6970 Lightning though the lightning doesn't have a US launch date or price yet.

I had one of these for about a week but the noise and heat levels were way more than I could stand so I returned it. It performed fine but the noise level compared to a 5870 Vapor-X (my current card) was very disruptive. The 6970 at 25% fan speed (manually set in CCC) was about the same loudness as the Vapor-X at 50 ~ 60%. Once the 6970 got above 25% fan speed it was in hairdryer territory. Also put out about as much heat as a hair dryer as well, the temps were regularly around 90C under load. I am real sensitive to fan noise so it may be bearable to you.

Currently I am looking at either a PowerColor 6970 PCS+ or the MSI R6970 Lightning though the lightning doesn't have a US launch date or price yet.

Thanks for your input mate.

Well, my 4870 vapor-x would become audible at 35% fan speed, so if at 25% fan speed the 6970 is audible, I can only assume I might have a similar experience to yours.

Now I have no clue what I'm gonna get. Powercolor is not a brand that I trust, even though their card looks neat, I'm not gonna risk getting it, have had bad experiences with their products.

The lightning seems like a good choice, though it seems quite pricey and I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that is not as quiet as expected from it.

Then there's the Asus offering, the DCUII or something, but my issue with this one is the 2-slot cooler (the whole card takes 3 slots), if anywhere down the road I decide to crossfire, it's not gonna fit my setup as I have an auzentech sound card in one of the six PCI-E slots my mobo has.

Oh well, gonna keep looking, something good gotta show up... Or perhaps I should go for a 6950 anyway

Hey guys, I just found out about this card

Gigabyte-Radeon-HD-6970-Graphics-Card-1.jpg

Sadly, it's not available yet and I never owned a Gigabyte video card, but given their solid performance in the motherboard arena, I'd guess this is one to consider.

Here's the link with a tidbit of info about it

http://www.techpowerup.com/141809/Gigabyte-Intros-Radeon-HD-6970-WindForce-3X-Graphics-Card.html

Newegg has them in stock for $355. In fact I got mine yesterday and will be pounding the snot out of it during the Rift event tomorrow.

PowerColor also has a non-OC'd version of their PCS+ for $340.

Back