Non Raid Disks on Intel ICH9R w/ Raid Enabled

Yacko

n00b
I have looked around but haven't found anything on this. I have a new motherboard with the ICH9R south bridge and was wondering. It has 6 SATA headers now if I want to use 4 for RAID 0 and one of the remaining 2 for CD-Rom or another Hard drive in non-raid configuration, is this possible?

I have the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard, I have already used the other 2 Gigabyte SATA ports for system drive and DVD-ROM. I want to add one 500GB in non-raid to backup my important data on the RAID 0 array too. Can I do this on one of the remaining 2 unused SATA headers?

I have a different board (bx2), but I'm fairly certain you can have a non-raid disk on a controller that has an array. I have a raptor on my mobo's Matrix controller and three more drives in RAID 5, but one thing I should mention is that I had to put the drives in RAID mode before I installed the OS.

I think this is fairly consistent with all RAID cards/controllers, but someone correct me if I'm wrong...

As jcazes notes, my brother's ICH9 machine *had* to be set to raid mode to get Windows XP to install on the single disk.

My setup is currently like this:

Gigabyte Controller:
0: SATA 250GB System drive
1: SATA DVD-RW

Intel Controller
0:SATA 500GB --
1:SATA 500GB | RAID 0
2:SATA 500GB |
3:SATA 500GB --
4: Empty
5: Empty

Now I don't want to back up everything in the RAID arry only a few gigs worth of data, the rest If I loose its no big deal to replace.

So I want to add another 500GB drive to keep incremental backups of these important files and not have it in the RAID array even as raid 5 so I can always just pull the drive and hook it up to a USB cable to get them back. (make sense?). Can I add a disk to port 4: or 5: without it having to be in the RAID array?

Back