• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

non-powered receiver, does it exist?

Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
620
Ok so let me describe the situation. I got a new hd tv but right now im just using the tv's built speakers (which are complete garbage). I have a set of powered 5.1 surround sound computer speakers but they connect using rca mini plugs and the only output on my tv is optical s/pdif out. Does anyone know of a stand alone box that acts as a receiver just without amplification? Something with the ability to have multiple inputs and switch (like a normal receiver) would be nice, but a simple digital 5.1 to analog converter box (or something like that) would also be fine. Ive been looking for a few days and the only thing ive found are external usb sound interfaces, but i need a stand alone box. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 
Many receivers come with full sets of analog pre-outs, so that you could use external amplifiers for the various channels.

You might have to use cheap adapters but you should be able to plug the computer speakers into the analog pre-outs, set the computer speaker's volume to full, then use the receiver to control the volume of the speakers as you would with any other amp.
 
Many receivers come with full sets of analog pre-outs, so that you could use external amplifiers for the various channels.

You might have to use cheap adapters but you should be able to plug the computer speakers into the analog pre-outs, set the computer speaker's volume to full, then use the receiver to control the volume of the speakers as you would with any other amp.

true, but im trying to not spend the money on a full fledged receiver, and i dont need it to really adjust the volume because i would use the volume adjustment knob on the speakers. The receiver would definitely do the job though.
 
They're called "preamplifiers" or "decoders" or "AV processors" in a lot of cases, although people only bother with them for high end audio which is going to completely negate your goals of "cheap". Kind of like this Arcam unit (http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,av-amplifiers,AV888.htm There's also things like this dealy: http://www.teufelaudio.com/?PHPSESSID=e915a5138634bfaed6ef37812cf1f097&ac_type=warenkorb&ac_name=update&vw_type=warengruppe&vw_name=summary&vw_id=67&delivery_country=190

I know the Klipsch unit you're talking about, perhaps some saved searches on eBay may eventually result in one. I'm sure there may be other more thrifty options out there.
 
Does your TV even output Dolby Digital through optical? All the TVs I've owned only pass 2 channel PCM.
 
Does your TV even output Dolby Digital through optical? All the TVs I've owned only pass 2 channel PCM.

My Bravia passes 5.1 Dolby through optical... I use the TV's optical out with the 360 because I'm paranoid about plugging HDMI into my receiver (input lag)

Never heard of what OP is looking for though. Anything that converts between digital and analog is going to need to be powered.
 
My Bravia passes 5.1 Dolby through optical... I use the TV's optical out with the 360 because I'm paranoid about plugging HDMI into my receiver (input lag)

Never heard of what OP is looking for though. Anything that converts between digital and analog is going to need to be powered.

The OP was using "powered" in the amplification sense, not in the sense that it doesn't require electricity.
 
I have a B&K Reference 20 I'm selling that I used to do exactly this. It decodes DD and DTS fine and it looks like a work of art compared to all of my budget audio equipment lol. It took me forever to find one that didn't suck and worked well enough.

I used it with a set of Klipsch Promedia 5.1's and it did a great job.

Generally these are referred to as Surround Processors or just Processors. Emotiva has a nice one currently but it's a bit expensive.
 
The Emotiva is actually pretty cheap as far as processors go. But I hear it's on the buggier end. It's a shame it doesn't have XLR outputs.
 
Back
Top