Non-Powered Hub or Switch

TypeRazor

Gawd
We are building a house and i recently ran all CAT6 cable to each room connected to an in wall faceplate so you can plug in standard ethernet cables in and connect like normal.
The problem, one i know i knew i would have, is that a few rooms need multiple lines of ethernet, so im looking for a non powered Hub or Switch to mount to the wall (i can make brackets myself if need be) to distribute throughout the room.

Price isnt a huge concern but im going to need 4-5 of these.
I would prefer Giga speeds obviously if its available.
Also, which would you recommend over the other?

Much thanks!

your not gonna find much more, can you possibly run more cat5?

cant do a normal switch?

1st question, why didn't you run multiple lines to the faceplate for the rooms you knew were needing more than 1 connection?
2nd question, why can't you run a powered switch near one of the devices that is getting connected and then run from the switch to the other device?

I could run more, ive got about 1200ft left
And i could use a normal switch/hub but i would rather less wires, wouldnt anyone?
Plus they used to make them, but only supported 10mbps so i was hoping for something along the lines of a dumb hub.
I guess ill go with just a regular hub and mount it inside the wall or something.
Thanks [H]

so a hub will split the speed, run more wire, its probably more cost effective if walls are open.

This is a curious thread. Do they make a PoE powered switch? Obviously I mean one that is powered by PoE and not one that delivers PoE power.

the intellijacks are, and have poe as well, but thats the cost you pay, i doubt you can find bigger ones

Cisco makes cheap POE switches, for their linksys/cisco brand. SLM2008 is an 8-port gigabit ethernet "smartswitch" (no not really a managed switch) that can obtain it's power via POE.

go with the intellijacks, some retailers sometimes have quite big discounts on them.

otherwise run more cable and be done with it.

or, if you only need two ports out of one port, then use a T-Splitter.

B) Why is it a bad idea? Please do tell.

This is not a supported configuration ... you need all 4 pair of wires to terminate to a single device for the shielding / RFI to work properly. If you tried to do this, you would get 100Mb max, and crosstalk and interference would likely become a serious issue and you would start seeing a lot of CRC and frame errors on your interfaces. If you are just surfing the web you would not likely notice; but start transferring large files and I would bet issues start to pop up.

The RFC guidelines are designed with a lot of thought and consideration, and it's best to follow them as closely as possible.

What else is in the face plate your putting in the rooms? I'd run at least 2 runs to each room, but that's me.

If you're running gigabit, I'd just say buy some cheap 5 port switches.

No they dont have an online site

and i guess im going to have 2 faceplates now
1 for ethernet and the other for coax and tele.

If i knew the devices would use all of the bandwidth i would have ran more line but only 1 is going to be a heavily used connection, the client htpc otherwise its just xbox, tv, small stuff.

The proper way to do a run of 1000' or more is with fiber. Putting some kind of inline repeater in the middle is a cheep hack.

Look for switches that have things like GBIC or SFP ports. Or look into investing in a pair of media converters.

Last edited:
No they dont have an online site

and i guess im going to have 2 faceplates now
1 for ethernet and the other for coax and tele.

If i knew the devices would use all of the bandwidth i would have ran more line but only 1 is going to be a heavily used connection, the client htpc otherwise its just xbox, tv, small stuff.

You can get face plates that support 6 keystones, I don't know why you'd need more then that...

The proper way to do a run of 1000' or more is with fiber. Putting some kind of inline repeater in the middle is a cheep hack.

:rolleyes:

Reading comprehension = fail.

This is a curious thread. Do they make a PoE powered switch? Obviously I mean one that is powered by PoE and not one that delivers PoE power.
They make PoE switches, sure.

However, the "right" way to do it with less headaches down the road is running multiple lines to each room. They make 4-port wall jacks if you need them.

The Intellijacks look like a sweet product and the best I have seen for this type of need. Have yet to use them myself, but have heard good things.

Back