Non-Optical Mouse

Tycoonbrad

n00b
My 17 month old recently walked in my computer room, climbed up on the chair and was moving the mouse around. As I walked in, he was about to investigate the red shiny cool looking light under the item he was moving. I'm so glad I walked in when I did, if he would have looked directly at the beam, he could have damaged his young eyes. Because he's such a climber, I thought maybe getting a regular ball mouse might be better. Are there any highly recommended non-optical/non-laser mcie still available? I currently have an Logitech MX510.

I don't think you have to worry about it.
You aren't going to put your son in danger with your mouse.

From pc world.com

Laser Safety
People concerned at the idea of having an exposed laser shining out of the bottom of their mouse need not worry, Ngoh said. Strict safety rules apply to the use of lasers, and those used in Agilent's mouse components are "Class 1," which means they won't damage a person's eye even if stared at for prolonged periods. To get that rating, the laser components have to be designed so that their output power never exceeds a safety threshold even under fault conditions. The scale goes from Class 1 to Class 4; equipment in the latter class is so powerful that even glancing at the diffuse reflection of a laser beam in that category is unsafe.

I'm fairily sure that the "laser" in laser mice are just red LED's. I've been meaning to test this theory by replacing one with a blue LED, but I need a mouse I don't care about breaking first.

No laser you're going to be able to get a hold of is going to be powerful enough to cause permanent eye damage from just glancing into the beam, and staring into one is uncomfortable enough to make it common sense not to do that.

IMHO, you should be more worried about your kid getting into the cleaning products under the sink then the laser in your mouse. It's great you're worried about your kid though :)

as was said, there really isn't much to worry about.

However I realize some people really dont care what fluky scientists say and they still feel better to not have their newborn staring into a shiny red light. Because of that I am going to steer you towards Razer, they are probably the last company to really move away from ball mice, and always used to have the best. If you can still find one of their last ball mice models that would probably be the best one.

No, get a ball mouse, don't forget to show your child where the ball is so he can slip it out and choke on that nice "gumball" inside. Hopefully that da-do noise just came through your speakers as you plug your perfectly safe optical mouse back in. =)

Patman said:
No, get a ball mouse, don't forget to show your child where the ball is so he can slip it out and choke on that nice "gumball" inside.

What he said.

Yes, with the MX510, all you're looking at is a red LED which lights the path so the camera has light to take pictures. It won't do any permanent damage to your eye.

Back