non-OC in high ambient

Ubyr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2000
Messages
400
`kay, my bro is in San Diego, & his home is regularly 90F+, sometimes 100+. He doesn't overclock, he has fans up the wazoo, & he still gets high temps all the time. It's a p4, maybe 2.6, & I don't know what specific HSF he's got, so just the general stuff for now:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the internal case ambient *cannot* be lower than the outside ambient, right?

Assuming he's keeping his internal ambient as low as he possibly can, how small can he get the gap between ambi & CPU?

Is watercooling a worthwhile option in this non-OC, high ambi setting?

If he set a really small portable AC unit near the computer, would he be asking for trouble in the form of condensation problems?
 
1. Correct.

2. A good heatsink will have a C/W of around 0.20-0.25.
So adding 75-80 watts of heat will give you a temp raise of 15-20 C.

3. Water cooling may gain you 1-2 C but you will be able to do it more quietly.

4. Condensation only happens when you cool air down.
So pumping cold air into a warm computer = no condensation normaly.

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif
 
Air conditioning! It would help the computer, and keep him cool, killing two birds with one stone.
 
Tigerbiten : Thanks, some very good info there. That prompted me to find this amusing little guy.

Deadlierchair : I couldn't agree more, but dunno if that's in his budget... I think more for the cost of using it on an almost daily basis than the initial price. I hear California has some issues with their electric bills. ;)
 
Ubyr said:
Deadlierchair : I couldn't agree more, but dunno if that's in his budget... I think more for the cost of using it on an almost daily basis than the initial price. I hear California has some issues with their electric bills. ;)

Definitely something to think about. Here in Portland, it's barely ever hot like CA, and power is sort of cheap (I guess). Not sure what he could do then...
 
Back
Top