Non-linear battery discharge... Can it be corrected?

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I recently got a new 6-cell 5200/4800/4400 mAh battery for my Aspire Acer One A110 netbook off ebay. It was a very cheap 3rd party battery, not the official one. Nonetheless, the quality seemed high, starting with the package to the battery itself.

Anyway, this is what a Battery Eater classic mode discharge graph looks like for my original 3-cell battery:

discharge.gif

Compare that to the new 6-cell:

discharge.gif

As you can see, after about 45% it really drops off, but then it lasts over 30 minutes at 0%. This is kinda inconvenient.

I think this may be because I made the mistake of not charging the battery for at least 10 hours before first using it, like it said on the sealed package. :(

Is there anything I can do now to "recalibrate" it or something?

I've done a couple of full charge/discharge cycles so far, and I think it may be getting slightly better, but I'm not sure.

Thanks.

well, since it ended about where the average line was heading before it dropped off, it's fine. just misreporting itself.

I know it's misreporting itself, and that's exactly what I want to fix.

It's not really possible to use the netbook for the last 30-45 minutes when the battery gauge says 0% left, since you have no way of knowing when exactly it will cut off (or it takes too much effort keeping track of time). At least not if you care about losing data/unsaved changes/risk disk errors, etc.

Last edited:
Unless the controller on the battery is complete crap, a few cycles should calibrate it.
But since you've done those and it still does it...

Back