• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

non-ECC RAM on dual 1366

bwang

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
1,168
It appears that the Intel board I'm using (S5520UR) doesn't like OCZ Gold I have in it; it doesn't POST and throws memory errors. I'm not sure whether its because the sticks I have are 1.65V and the board wants 1.5V, or because I don't have ECC memory in it.
Is it normal for some dual 1366 boards to not work without ECC RAM? I know some models (SR2, all Supermicro boards) are fine with it.
 
The machines in my sig all run regular ram, some are rated at 1.5v and some at 1.65v, however that is at their rated speed of 1600, since you are limited to 1333 i think they adjust accordingly. To date your's is the first i have heard of that needs ECC ram but all 1366 2p boards use the same chipset so you should be OK.

Have you tried checking the QVL on the intel website?
 
Have you tried checking the QVL on the intel website?

Intel absolutely will not support non-ECC RAM on this board; the manual says its "not supported and not validated". Not sure whether that should be interpreted as "don't come crying to us if it doesn't work" or "it absolutely will not work".
Or it could be the very slim chance that the board won't work with ES'es, even D0 ES'es. I've heard once occurrence of that before.
 
I am running 6 sticks of unbuffered 1.65V memory in my ASUS 2P 1366.
 
Intel absolutely will not support non-ECC RAM on this board; the manual says its "not supported and not validated". Not sure whether that should be interpreted as "don't come crying to us if it doesn't work" or "it absolutely will not work".
Or it could be the very slim chance that the board won't work with ES'es, even D0 ES'es. I've heard once occurrence of that before.

It might be a pain but have you tried the RAM from your other rig?
 
I've run 32 gigs of Mushkin Silverline 1.5V DDR 1333 on my Supermicro 5520 based boards. The 5560 and 5570 I have are also ES (C1 and D0).
 
Back
Top