Non-Dremel rotary tools....cheap?

i've tried some of them and they honestly are pretty crappy. however, black and decker makes a really good dremel alternative not sure of the name though. its around $30-35 and also accepts dremel accessories and comes with a good amount to boot.

The Sears Craftsman is a Dremel Clone so they are good also.

i bought a cheapo from a tool outlet store, and boy is it cheap, a cheap piece of junk that is. the thing gets reallt hot so you cant work for very long, also the button to keep the collet from spinning fell out so now I have to stick a bit in the hole to change bits. also the bits are not standard sizes so I am stuck useing the bits that came with it and nothing else.
I will be getting a Dremel or Black and decker soon, I have used the Black and Decker and it is really nice, I have seen them at Wal-Mart for $40 and that includes a full size tool box and alot of extra's, but they dont have any in stock now. Keep checking at Wal-Mart they have sales on them alot but there not advertised.

Diablo2K said:
The Sears Craftsman is a Dremel Clone so they are good also.

i bought a cheapo from a tool outlet store, and boy is it cheap, a cheap piece of junk that is. the thing gets reallt hot so you cant work for very long, also the button to keep the collet from spinning fell out so now I have to stick a bit in the hole to change bits. also the bits are not standard sizes so I am stuck useing the bits that came with it and nothing else.
I will be getting a Dremel or Black and decker soon, I have used the Black and Decker and it is really nice, I have seen them at Wal-Mart for $40 and that includes a full size tool box and alot of extra's, but they dont have any in stock now. Keep checking at Wal-Mart they have sales on them alot but there not advertised.

i have the black and decker RTX rotary.. they advertise it as having 3 speeds but it's really got a wheel with variable speeds on it. pretty nice, definitely good enough for what i do. i'm sure there will be Dremel fan boys saying their tool will last longer, etc, but this is fine for what i need to get done.

I have a proxxon multimot, but I don't think it was any cheaper than a dremel. Shouldn't have been, considering it is built like a tank. Seems like it was around $100, give or take a few bucks.

If you only need it for one job, go ahead and save a few bucks, but if you're going to keep using it you don't want to skimp. You'll just burn out a cheap one, find out the collets(sp?) warp from extended use, etc.

if you have an air compressor, then homr depot has some pretty cheap airpowered alternatives that will run you like 20 or 30 and can use dremel attachments

I'm using an old ryobi multi speed. Other than the little pen extension breaking its been a great tool. Fits most dremel accesories and has lasted me 6 years of car repair and case mods. Seems to need replacing soon though any good suggestions need a quality one.

Loud_TIGER said:
i have the black and decker RTX rotary.. they advertise it as having 3 speeds but it's really got a wheel with variable speeds on it. pretty nice, definitely good enough for what i do. i'm sure there will be Dremel fan boys saying their tool will last longer, etc, but this is fine for what i need to get done.
What exactly is it that you do, because i need to cut a little alulminum and i need something that will do it well.

I ended up getting a new Dremel wireless 8000-01 set for a decent price. :)

Back