Non-Contiguous?

Whitebread

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, whenever I boot into Ubuntu, I get errors saying that my Ext2 partitions are XX.X% non-contiguous. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Think "fragmented," and you don't...Well, there are tools to do it, but most people never need to. Unless your partitions are very full, don't worry about it.

Non-contiguous disk usage is not an error.

Well, I wouldn't mind it if ubuntu didn't take 4 minutes to fix the so called errors everytime I boot up.

Well, you are shutting it down properly right, not just killing the power? It sounds like the file systems aren't being unmounted before shutting down, and it's running a fsck on boot.

You're getting that 4 minute crap because you are using an antique filesystem. Why are you not using Ext3?

Whatsisname said:
You're getting that 4 minute crap because you are using an antique filesystem. Why are you not using Ext3?

^^
yer convert it, Ext2 can be upgraded to Ext3 (well a journell file added)

Whitebread said:
Can it be upgraded withot backing up the data on teh partition?

Technically? Yes.
But I'd still back up anything important, just in case.

well technically the only difference between Ext2 and Ext3 is the existance of a Journalling file (hence why an Ext3 partition can be mounted as Ext2 in emergencies)

Sure if you create the partition as Ext3 from the beginning and enable some of teh funky Ext3 options you get alot of performance boost

just run tune2fs to add a journal and you will be ok, as long as ext3 is compiled into yr kernel (not a module)

ext2/3 are prone to fragmentation. This will be somewhat alleviated with ext4. Just fyi...

If don't like fragmentation today, use a different fs... e.g. reiserfs, or other... (depends on how it allocates things on the disk of course).

Still, it shouldn't be spending 4 minutes on every boot, even with ext2. This is pretty unusual.

cjcox said:
ext2/3 are prone to fragmentation. This will be somewhat alleviated with ext4. Just fyi...

If don't like fragmentation today, use a different fs... e.g. reiserfs, or other... (depends on how it allocates things on the disk of course).

Correction.
Ext2/3 auto-defrag during its use, thus reducing the whole fragmenting problem

Ext4 brings to the table a FS-call that pre-allocates space on the disk, thus allow a file to be written un-fragmented (useful for large files).

Back