Non Conductive Fluids

Use some common sense when assembling your loop and there's no need for nonconductive fluids.

Because we all know leaks are never caused by the indestructable/infallible components and always by the naive user. ;)

Last I checked, noone on this board was a god, and I agree, hoses/clamps/barbs/etc can have defects and break over time. If you are spending hundreds of dollars on watercooling for hundreds of dollars worth of hardware, I think you can drop $20 for some peace of mind :)

It sure smells and feels like it. :D It says on the bottle it's custom made for them so I have no idea what the ingrediants are...

I know our military aircraft use both of these for equipment cooling so I thought maybe some other military guys might have tried them in their systems. The DC200 is used as a high freq cooling and the boards are submerged in it. The Coolanol is used for radar cooling but I'm not sure if the equipment is submerged or not.

What color does MCT look like in tubing? I saw a review of this stuff and it looked like dirty water with a green film on top in their pic of it in a jar.

Slightly purple....like they say on the site color of Tanzanite. But mostly clear.

Non-Conductive fluids are junk... i dont know about 3M's but fluid xp sucks! Stay far far away from fluid xp!!

Krazy_Joe said:
Non-Conductive fluids are junk... i dont know about 3M's but fluid xp sucks! Stay far far away from fluid xp!!
Care to elaborate on that? I would like to know why does it suck so much?

here is why non conductive fluids are not a good idea. This is after 3 months with MCT5.

Rebuild-Storm%20Pieces.jpg

Rebuild-Top.jpg

Rebuild-Midplate.jpg

I would take pics of how nasty my tubing got, but i already threw it away.

Not to mention the MCT5 looks really ugly compared to my new mixture of Pentosin.

Before:
MCW55%20Wide%20Angle.jpg

After
Rebuild-Finished.jpg

The buildup doesn't look permanent or harmful. Notice that the buildup occurs where the flow is lowest. Those marks may have been caused by stagnant coolant sitting for 3 months in the same part of the block.

CoW]8(0) said:
The buildup doesn't look permanent or harmful. Notice that the buildup occurs where the flow is lowest. Those marks may have been caused by stagnant coolant sitting for 3 months in the same part of the block.

No, it was in everything. Rad, Res, Tubing, you name it.

But the buildup in your WB doesn't seem to be a problem. And the coating in the tubing etc. looks very thin. IIRC, water wetter does something very similar, but the coating is intentional because it's used to protect the parts from corrosion. With MCT5, I'm not so sure...But the buildup you have doesn't seem serious at all.

with a block like the Storm, these buildups are not something good at all. Those jets can get clogged real quick with that gunk. Since redoing my rig, temps have dropped from 38-39C load to 34-36C load.

But that buildup only seems to only occur in still water. The way that the Storm works, the last place thing it would clog is the jets.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. But the buildup on the sides of the tubing and reservoir is probably from the lack of turbulent flow.

It's not a good idea to jump to immediate conlcusions about all non-conductive coolants w/o proper evidence to support it.

I can't say I support MCT5, but I don't condemn it because from the reviews it seems like a worthwhile investment for some. But I do know that when MCT dries, it leaves quite a bit of solid residue behind. But IIRC, it can be cleaned off with alcohol.

I used mct5 on my first loop because I was nervous. So far it's done a fine enough job, but I doubt I'll use it the next time I have to drain and refill. I'm not disappointed with the performance so much as with the green color.

Back