Non-Conductive Dye?

Krazy_Joe

Limp Gawd
I bought some Fluid XP+ and want to add some green dye. I need some non-conductive dye... anyone have any ideas where I can get some?

Most dies are non-ionic and therefore not conductive. Question is, are you going to get them dissolved in whatever fluid-XP is using (my guess from the properties is something like propylene glycol). Good starter for a green dye is malachite green. It's sometimes used in aquariums as cure of last resort, so you might get it at a well stocked pet store.

dye should work in fluid xp+... it says dye's can be used on their web page :) That is also a good idea about the pet shop. I was also thinking of going down to autozone b/c mechanics use UV dye to check for leaks in the radiators and power steering. Anyone have any idea what the dye is called that they use? Or what colors it comes in?

That dye is in an oil based solution, so it definitely is non-conductive. Question is, will the oil mix with your fluid, and what will it do to your system. A lot of things like o-rings made for water don't like getting in contact with oils.

whitewale said:
That dye is in an oil based solution, so it definitely is non-conductive. Question is, will the oil mix with your fluid, and what will it do to your system. A lot of things like o-rings made for water don't like getting in contact with oils.

Great point... i emailed fluidxp.com and asked them what dye's they recommend to use. Hopefully they know and will reply

FLuid XP+ contains

Dihydrogen Oxide, [Water]
Xanthan Gum, [CP Kelco: Keltrol-T &/or Keltrol-T622]
1-Dodecanol [Lauryl Alcohol]
1,2-Propanediol [Propylene Glycol]
1,2,3-Propanetriol, [Glycerin]

If I had a clue, I'd wouldn't be hitting the forums on a Saturday night. :D

You'll probably have to experiment. Get some dye, use a multimeter to see if its conductive. If it conducts, RMA and try another one.

The FluidXP+ folks told me the dyes on their site are non-conductive...?

Xylo said:
The FluidXP+ folks told me the dyes on their site are non-conductive...?

FluidXP+ site sux... their company sux!! I stopped using their product when my cpu block corroded in 4 months of use!!!! Luckly when sending my block for repair polarflo replaced my block free of charge just because they like "happy customers"! Now that is a company! FluidXP took 5 months to respond to my email. They had no explanation of what happened and didnt even offer to replace anything! It was a total waste of 38 bucks!

Just thought I would post this update on my thread!
Now using hydrx for 6 months with zero problems... way to go swiftech! I even spilt some on my VGA card while the computer was on... just wiped it off, still works fine!

Back