Nokia Lumia 900

BDV

[H]ard|Gawd
Who's getting one?

At 99$, it's the first phone I'm actually looking forward to buying.

if it's 99 bucks without having to renew my contract(haha) I will buy one.

I love the windows phone platform.

I will if it comes to Verizon. Not giving up my unlimited data.

Same except for my wife. I'd like to get her a Windows phone just so I could play with it, lol. I don't think I would want it to replace my Galaxy Nexus though. I can't imagine a phone being much better (for me ;)) than it right now.

From what it looks like...no sign that it's coming to Verizon. Guess they're the most vested in Android so it's not too surprising.

I'm...interested. This would be a second phone for me, though, as opposed to a replacement, so it really depends on what exactly AT&T is willing to do for me to get me to ante up for it.

As others have written, I'd be all in if it was on Verizon. That ain't happening, though.

I am getting one to replace my Omnia 7. Really looking forward to it. Wondering how much it's gonna cost off contract though.

How long before it's running Ice Cream Sandwich?

Only real downside is that it's not dual core...big deal imo. Should make it cheaper though, so less than $500 off contract hopefully.

It'll be interesting to see how much ATT markets it...for $99 it can sell decently.

Dual cores come with faster 3D graphics than single core SOC models available.

WP7 games I'd daresay are significantly hampered by the poor 3D performance of Snapdragon chips. The Adreno 205 is a good deal behind the 200MHz SGX 540 in Samsung's single core chips, let alone Exynos and the Apple A5.

Single core is less powerful and worse battery life. Lose lose. Only pro is price.

How is single core worse on battery life? My Titan is single core and i've NEVER had it slow down.

For reference, I've used multiple dual core phones before my single core one.

How is single core worse on battery life? My Titan is single core and i've NEVER had it slow down.

The theory is that dual core has to work half as hard (therefore draw half the power) as a single core for the same task, thus saving battery. Not sure if that difference makes much difference in practice though as the screen and cell radios use the most power typically.

Who's getting one?

At 99$, it's the first phone I'm actually looking forward to buying.

Nokia made Lumia 900 keeping in mind the missing past of Lumia 800 and N9.
Supporting 2G and 3G networks it also comes with the latest 4G LTE technology making it a next generation phone altogether.

I am surely going to purchase it.

I'm not up for my next upgrade until July, but if I were looking to move up to a new phone today, it would either be the Samsung Focus S or the Nokia Lumia 900.

Currently using an original Samsung Focus + 16GB MicroSD.

The theory is that dual core has to work half as hard (therefore draw half the power) as a single core for the same task, thus saving battery. Not sure if that difference makes much difference in practice though as the screen and cell radios use the most power typically.
Gotta call BS on that theory. My Samsung Focus (Single-core 1.0 GHz Snapdragon) routinely makes it through 2 days of moderate usage on a single charge (a full 3 days if you turn on battery-saver and use it lightly).

Everyone I know with a dual-core Android phone seems to be lucky to get them to last even 24 hours. One person I know has trouble getting their 4G Android phone to last 8 hours; totally shocked me when he told me how poor his battery life was on his brand new phone :eek:

Last edited:
It depends in the processor. Generally speaking, though, a fast processor will complete a task and reach its idle state faster than a slower processor, and this is where power savings can be realized. A very slow processor might consume 60% of the power of the fast one, but it takes much longer to complete a task before going idle, which balloons overall power consumption.

It's always a race to the idle state.

I'm not up for my next upgrade until July, but if I were looking to move up to a new phone today, it would either be the Samsung Focus S or the Nokia Lumia 900.

Currently using an original Samsung Focus + 16GB MicroSD.

Gotta call BS on that theory. My Samsung Focus (Single-core 1.0 GHz Snapdragon) routinely makes it through 2 days of moderate usage on a single charge (a full 3 days if you turn on battery-saver and use it lightly).

Everyone I know with a dual-core Android phone seems to be lucky to get them to last even 24 hours. One person I know has trouble getting their 4G Android phone to last 8 hours; totally shocked me when he told me how poor his battery life was on his brand new phone :eek:
Doesn't change the fact that most of the dual core processors consume less power than single core ones.

The big deal is how processor usage is implemented, and the cell radio + screen + gps always consume more than the processor in almost all cases.

Single core / dual core, its all about the optimized OS. I'll likely be buying five.

You've got any empirical data to back that up?

My GS2 lasts much longer than my original GS.... and has a bigger screen to boot.

You need to realize, unless both cores are needed, for the most part only 1 receives power, effectively maintaining the drain of a single core. If both are needed, they throttle up and finish a task faster than a single core, thus throttling down faster and using less power.

When tacking on an extra core, you multiply power consumption at full load by about 2. Idle stays the same.
When adding clock speed (double, for comparisons sake), you multiply power consumption by about 4.

Theoretically, a 1.4ghz single-core could draw more than a 1.0ghz dual-core, and the dual core would be faster.

My GS2 lasts much longer than my original GS.... and has a bigger screen to boot.

You need to realize, unless both cores are needed, for the most part only 1 receives power, effectively maintaining the drain of a single core. If both are needed, they throttle up and finish a task faster than a single core, thus throttling down faster and using less power.

When tacking on an extra core, you multiply power consumption at full load by about 2. Idle stays the same.
When adding clock speed (double, for comparisons sake), you multiply power consumption by about 4.

Theoretically, a 1.4ghz single-core could draw more than a 1.0ghz dual-core, and the dual core would be faster.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Cortex A8 and A9 are drastically different architectures, they don't even run on the same fab process.

The only time dual core helps if when you can run several tasks in parallel, even then a lot of times a lot of processing can be done in parallel by the GPU.

I don't buy your argument at all and that is speaking as someone with MS in computer engineering.

Then I guess Windows Phone 7 is pretty light on its feet, because my little Focus gets exceptional battery life. :D

Yep, it's very optimized.

I fell in love with WP7 within days of starting to use it.

I'm all over this phone when it comes out to replace my LG Quantum. I don't regret going from Apple iphone to WP7 at all.

I am currently using a Nokia Lumia 710 on T-Mobile. Yeah... I went from a Sprint GSII with a 4.52" SAMOLED+ screen to this thing. I've gotta say... I really, really like WP7. It's so smooth and fluid and it just makes sense. May pick up an 800/900 if/when they come to T-Mobile.

Well, if the Lumia 900 fails to sell 1.2 million in 3 months in the US alone Nokia might as well fold the company right away, since even the first iPhone and the OG Droid managed better results than that.

If it doesn't even hit half that much, then WP7 is essentially a dead platform.

Well, if the Lumia 900 fails to sell 1.2 million in 3 months in the US alone Nokia might as well fold the company right away, since even the first iPhone and the OG Droid managed better results than that.

If it doesn't even hit half that much, then WP7 is essentially a dead platform.

:confused:

Just stating the obvious considering how much Microsoft has invested into Nokia, and how much Nokia has went all-in with WP7.

Considering how bad WP7 phone sales have been compared with the army of iOS and Android devices, if this phone doesn't break into the US market with a bang it's going to be the death knell for Microsoft and especially Nokia, especially when it is going to be compared to second-generation iOS and Android device (iPhone 3G and Motorola Droid) sales.

Windows Phone 7 isn't going to be a success of the same magnitude as Android or iOS. It just isn't going to happen. Microsoft attempted to mimic the iPhone's success by implementing many of the same policies for app developers, practically guaranteeing that the platform will not gain adequate traction with developers to overcome the enormous lead Android and iOS have with respect to app availability. If Microsoft had taken a different approach, I think that platform could be doing quite a bit better than it currently is.

The Lumia 900 could do well in the U.S., but the AT&T exclusivity will prove to be an obstacle and, knowing Microsoft, the marketing efforts will not be significant as they need to be. $99 will be a good price point, though it's going to be difficult for consumers to turn down the $99 iPhone for the $99 Windows Phone when they walk into an AT&T store.

Windows Phone 7 isn't going to be a success of the same magnitude as Android or iOS.

not sure i agree, they pumped billions into the re-launch. though it's not clear if that is for R&D of the OS or including promotional costs, manufacturing, etc.

i had the pleasure of using the lumia 800 for the last week and it was an amazing phone, i was really impressed with it. looking forward to the 900 launching here and if all goes well i'll be getting one.

edit: as for a side-by-side to the iphone, the washed out screen on an iphone looks abysmal when compared to the lumia. and battery life is far greater on the 800, hoping that remains on the 900.

Last edited:
I would gladly do that, not everyone has to have taste for iPhones really.
Certainly true, but the typical consumer is still very much infatuated with the iPhone. That's not to say it's better or worse than Windows phones, or that everyone who walks into the store is going to pick the iPhone over the 900, but most, I'm sure, will end up going with the former. It has a lot of momentum, and that's difficult for any phone manufacturer/platform provider to go up against.

I like both platforms. I want to own both phones (and will if I can get my way), but there are few people like me.

not sure i agree, they pumped billions into the re-launch. though it's not clear if that is for R&D of the OS or including promotional costs, manufacturing, etc.
I just think it's too uphill a battle for Microsoft. The Nokia partnership is a positive thing, and it's going to help, but I just don't think there's room in the market for them to see any great success with it.

I went to three different stores with my mom when she was due for an upgraded phone, not one of them had windows phones and were pushing android hard. They need a stronger in store presence.

Ended up going through amazon and got her a phone for a penny, which was 50 bucks less than through ATT. She loves it.

Trying to get my whole family to switch over from iphones is an uphill battle.

Back