Noisy hydror 30 pump

I have a hydror 30 pump that makes a noise similar to a loud hard drive accessing. It's not vibrational noise, at least not from the case, since I can pick it up with no difference in sound. I have recently cleaned the inside of the pump to no avail. The sound is almost always present, maybe 80 - 90 % of the time. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or should I try to get a replacement?

Well if it isn't air in your line I would think you need to talk to whoever you bought it from.

I have the same pump and it makes the same loud ass noise, try pluging it in and leting it run for about 2 seconds and then unpluging it and pluging it back in again, that works for me(you know now that Ive said that outloud maybe I should start thinking about getting another pump, it doesnt sound so healthy)

So the L30 makes the same noice held down ordinarily as it makes when you pick it it?
In that case, there may be something stuck in the impeller or the shaft area. You could try opening up your pump and looking pieces of plastic etc. that could be rattling around inside. Generally, Hydors are known to run louder than Eheims, but not at hard drive clicking sound levels.
Try to search for anyone else who's had this problem and see what they did to try and quiet the pump. I know Via Aquas are pretty noisy until you use a bit of superglue to stop its anti-clogging feature thatmakes the pump rattle a lot. Here's the link if that helps any.

I know this sounds horrible, however drain your loop. take your pumps impeller out and take the rubber mounts from the shaft. Now you have access to examine the shaft. I'm 98% sure your going to find grooves or worse yet a shearing of the back half of the shaft where the magnet spins. I had not one but two different pumps do this weeks apart. Solution. Contact Hydor in CA, speak to a gentleman named Phillip Cooper. He can order you new impellers.

-Brandon

Thanks for the suggestions, I have checked the pump and impeller for debris before and found none. I will try checking the shaft, and does anyone know if these pumps use the same anti-cloggini feature as the Via Aquas? This sounds more reasonable than the ground up shaft idea since it doesn't make the sound all the time, just most of the time. I've also found that you don't really need to drain the whole loop when checking the pump if you're careful with the tubes going in and out of the pump, and plug them up while the pump is disconnected, duct tape works well.

Back