Noise of raptor 74gb drive?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
What is the noise of raptor 74gb drive compared to a normal harddrive like seagate 720gb harddrive?

i am planning to raid two 74gb raptors but I am also planning to get another hard drive for storage.

I not too sure how noisy the drives are and I want to biggest space possible keeping the same amount of noise level as the raptors.

One 150 would be quieter than 2 74s.

Raptors aren't terribly loud, but they're not silent either. Buy rubber washers to mount it with if you're concerned. Subjectively speaking, I'd say they're about the same noise level as 7200rpm drives while idle, and a good deal louder when seeking.

One 150 would be quieter than 2 74s.

Raptors aren't terribly loud, but they're not silent either. Buy rubber washers to mount it with if you're concerned. Subjectively speaking, I'd say they're about the same noise level as 7200rpm drives while idle, and a good deal louder when seeking.

Exactly as he said. The few times when the drive might be noisy is when it seeks.

Raptors are noisier when seeking than any 7200rpm I've heard, the 36 GB is definitely louder than the 74 GB. I have never fitted a 150 GB so I can’t comment; however, I have fitted several 36’s & 74’s and have found that the noise level depends on the case you’re fitting them in. As amdfan25 said they do benefit from some sort of dampening or decoupling from the case. The noisiest I’ve heard one was in a Akasa Eclipse 62 case, which is a big case with no hard drive suspension/grommets at all, the quietest I’ve heard was in a Antec P180. I have one in one of my own builds, a Lian Li PC-101, and though not as quiet as the P180 its ‘livable with’. :D

Raptors are noisier when seeking than any 7200rpm I've heard, the 36 GB is definitely louder than the 74 GB. I have never fitted a 150 GB so I can’t comment; however, I have fitted several 36’s & 74’s and have found that the noise level depends on the case you’re fitting them in. As amdfan25 said they do benefit from some sort of dampening or decoupling from the case. The noisiest I’ve heard one was in a Akasa Eclipse 62 case, which is a big case with no hard drive suspension/grommets at all, the quietest I’ve heard was in a Antec P180. I have one in one of my own builds, a Lian Li PC-101, and though not as quiet as the P180 its ‘livable with’. :D

So you've "heard" they are noisier, have you actually read about them being noisier? The fact is Raptors are a little noisier, but not by much.

So you've "heard" they are noisier, have you actually read about them being noisier? The fact is Raptors are a little noisier, but not by much.

He means "heard" as in him listening to the drives first hand, not someone telling him about it.

Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong. I am referring to firsthand experience, I have fitted several raptors and they have all been noisy during seek; they are definitely noisier than any 7200rpm drives I've fitted. I have had two people actually ask me to remove and replace them with an alternative (quieter) drive, but like I said, a lot of it depends on which case you have and/or whether or not you're prepared to put up with the louder seek noise in exchange for the increased performance. That said, some of the latest 7200rpm drives are very good, the Seagate 7200.10 320gb for example is an excellent drive, and though it can’t quite match the raptor for speed - the (real world) difference in performance isn’t that great and its certainly quieter, plus you get a lot more gb’s for your money.

Raptors are pretty loud IMO. I can hear my 74GB over anything else in my case:eek:

Back