Noise levels of Maxtor DM10 vs Samsung

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
I am looking int buying either a maxtor diamondmax 10 250GB / 16mb cache or samsung 250gb / 8 mb cache, I cant get good figures on the noise level of the maxtor drive. Can anyone tell me how they compare? I saw some figures stating the samsung drive runs cooler, however I am debating whether the extra cache is a tradeoff for temp / noise. Recommendations?

Thanks to the 125GB platter density, the Samsung 250GB drives are pretty zippy in terms of applicaton performance and jaw-dropping when it comes to linear transfer performance (over 70MB/sec for much of the disk) SR's new Office DriveMark 2006 hints at pretty darn good application level performance from Samsung's buffer design team as well. The Maxtor drive still has a performance edge of around 10 to 25 percent, depending on the application.

In terms of noise profile, this is no contest. Samsung still makes the quitest hard drives money can buy, period. If you do not like seek noise, you need to buy the Samsung drive.

The DM10's extra cache is for pure performance, and it shows by its industry leading 7200 RPM performance. Acoustic and thermal considerations probably didn't come to mind when they added the cache. The DM10 unfortunately runs hot, though it's not particularly loud.

Back