Node 202 Aluminum Wrap?

Screes

Limp Gawd
I noticed the Node 202 is basically this steel frame wrapped in a plastic clamshell type wrap. I really hate the plastic look/feel but love the layout, lost cost and accessibility to purchase, and was wondering how difficult it would be to just make a new aluminum wrap for the stock steel frame inside it?

I know there's a lot of people on this forum that have either done or tried making complete custom enclosures. This seems like a relatively easy compromise. You don't have to do EVERYTHING to make a case, just the box wrapped around this stock frame. Any idea's how difficult or expensive this option may be to make?

It would be quite easy to design compared to fully custom cases because you don't have to worry about component clearances, basically just the size of a box. Manufacturing could still be expensive, since you have to drill venting holes and do a few bends. Nothing through the roof though... Great idea by the way :)

If it is just the surface finish of the plastic top that you are unhappy with then why not just cover it?

The easiest and cheapest way would be to get self-adhesive vinyl sheets or wrap. Brushed aluminium finish is available in several colours.
Or you could use thin sheets of real sheet metal.

Most scratch-builds I have seen have been made of sheet alu and L-brackets. That has then been brushed or painted.
For the vents, people use "Modders mesh" (steel) or pre-perforated alu sheets that have been glued on the inside perimeter of large holes cut into the case.

Back