NOD32 version 4 fix is released for Vista SP2

I liken this to the recent Seagate hard drive firmware fiasco: once the damage is done to the reputation, it'll be a long time before they can get it back. Same with Eset over this even though we all know mistakes can and do happen.

For myself, I just use Avira nowadays, haven't had any issues so far to worry about, so I'll keep it from now on until I have a reason to look for something else.

I still love Seagate...experience with a few tens of thousands (literally ) of hard drives over the years, they still stand at the top...along with ED.

Back to Eset..yeah, this one sucked for a lot of people. Luckily, even though I'm a Gold Partner with them, I only have 1x client whos network is running Vista...and that's a law firm, and they've still been on version 3 because I never rush clients to the latest of anything.

Heck, 90% of my clients are on 2.7. It's light, it's fast, and it works. And I have other measures in place that give additional layers of protection, such as UTM gateways.

But to sleep on this SP2 thing....and, IMO, pretend they got caught offguard by a last minute change by MS in releasing it.....I don't buy it.

Avira....also an excellent choice.

Speaking of the hard drive tarnished name analogy...

Quantum Bigfoot

followed by the attempt at resurrecting the same exact product line...

Quantum Tsunami

Heh, Quantum and Maxtor deserve each other!

Hey now, in decades of using Maxtor products, I've only had 1 go bad on me meaning a drive I actually owned and purchased, that was years ago pre-Seagate buyout. The 250GB Maxtor I have as my primary drive in this old workstation right now is holding up rather nicely, and I've yet to ever have a Seagate drive go bad on me, either my own hardware or customer's drives, soooo...

Seagate is the only hard drive brand that hasn't failed on me.

Yet... ;)

FYI, I tried the latest NOD32 v4 release on my Thinkpad.
This is the Thinkpad that gave me the same blue screen at Vista SP2 step 3 that others got...in eamon.sys.

I had uninstalled and went back to version 3 for the past week...

Today downloaded the latest v4, uninstalled v3, bounced...installed v4...updated....and rebooted about 5 times, zero issues.

Seagate is the only hard drive brand that hasn't failed on me.

Yet... ;)

Will happen...sooner 'r later. Seagate is the brand that I've noticed has failed the least, out of my truckloads of piles that have gone through my hands.

The mighty Cheetah X-15 fast cats FTW! Oh when I build a server with a row of 15k rpm goodness..and I power up that RAID array for the first time and hear 'em fire up one by one....it's wood inducing.....sequoia tree sized wood inducing music to my ears!

But back to NOD32 v4....we're thumbs up again!

Will happen...sooner 'r later. Seagate is the brand that I've noticed has failed the least, out of my truckloads of piles that have gone through my hands.

The mighty Cheetah X-15 fast cats FTW! Oh when I build a server with a row of 15k rpm goodness..and I power up that RAID array for the first time and hear 'em fire up one by one....it's wood inducing.....sequoia tree sized wood inducing music to my ears!

But back to NOD32 v4....we're thumbs up again!

Uhmmm... you need to get outta the server room more often and stop leeching Internet pr0n!!! :D

I liken this to the recent Seagate hard drive firmware fiasco: once the damage is done to the reputation, it'll be a long time before they can get it back. Same with Eset over this even though we all know mistakes can and do happen.

For myself, I just use Avira nowadays, haven't had any issues so far to worry about, so I'll keep it from now on until I have a reason to look for something else.

I dumped all of my Seagates for Western Digital and ESET Smart Security 4.0 for Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. And I have a 3 user license still good until December. This is what happens when you screw up and take too long to fix it. Hopefully they will learn something here, and maybe when v 5.0 comes out I may take another look. Maybe.

Back