NOD32 Slipped!

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
Well... after saying they haven't missed anything "in the wild" since 1998... I must say I found that NOD32 slipped today.

The past week I had been noticing Newegg was slow. Today it finally drove me nuts enough to figure out what the issue is (it is ONLY Newegg).
Turns out there was a BHO called InetSpeak (Everything I've read where you get this- I haven't downloaded nor heard of any of it... odd). Bugger part of it is that this is known- and with the quick search I did- one page about it was written clear back in 2004.

So... NOD32 slipped up.
1897037710_dfd2544f46.jpg

Well... after saying they haven't missed anything "in the wild" since 1998... I must say I found that NOD32 slipped today.

In their defense.....the claim, right from their website, is from VBulletins ratings...
"ESET NOD32 Antivirus has missed fewer "in-the-wild" viruses than any other vendor in VirusBulletin testing, as depicted below."
http://www.eset.com/products/compare.php

And...it mentions fewer "in-the-wild viruses"......this one you have is adware...granted NOD is one of the better "anti-threat" programs...along with Kaspersky..but for lots of ad/spyware...still good to have other utilities to battle/prevent those. Esp if you still use IE.

But the line between is getting pretty thin...
Even their website claims to protect against forms of malware, though: http://www.eset.com/products/threatsense.php

At any rate- it got by.
(Edit- and FWIW FireFox collected more crap during my controlled tests (going through the same list) by far than IE7 did... but I won't get into that)

No anti-virus vendor claims to detect everything out there; its impossible.

True.
But NOD32 didn't even see the darn thing...

I guess what I am saying is it isn't as good as what it is hyped to be.

But the line between is getting pretty thin...
Even their website claims to protect against forms of malware, though: http://www.eset.com/products/threatsense.php

True...you can say the line is getting pretty thin...and the better antivirus products are adding protection against adware and spyware.

But adware and spyware are staying ahead of the game. No AV/antithreat/antimalware product will guarantee 100% protection.

We can come with examples of "I've seen <pick an antivirus brand> miss thisbadguy, and someone else can say "I've seen <pick their favorite AV> capture that one"..and go back 'n forth all day long.

There's where layering protection can help. Kaspersky is fairly universally held as the highest in detection rates....yet I've personally seen some Smitfraud and Vitumundo variants slip past that one. Because practically every few weeks some new variant is out.

As to wether it's a good as it's hyped to me...IMO it is. I take care of an aweful lot of networks...the ones with NOD on it...are quite clean compared to others..and less issue. And when I'm replacing a prior AV package on a network with NOD32...it's always coming up with red flags that the prior AV product never even saw.

Back