• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NOD32 recommend?

raksasas

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 14, 2002
Messages
477
Is NOD32 still highly recommended?

I haven't been visiting as much over the last year and it's time to renew NOD32 so just asking.
 
MSE or Avast 5. NOD32 is still good, but the free stuff is as good if not better than ANY paid AV.
 
Been using NOD for years, but MSE is pretty impressive... either way, if you feel the need to pay, yea, NOD32 is still recommended in my opinion.
 
replaced NOD with Avira personal free on all my systems and new customer repairs early last year. then MCE came out late last year and switched again. i didnt even run AV on my main computer for years, and MCE is so good, fast, and unobtrusive that i installed it last night.
 
For home? I'd go with MSE. (Microsoft Security Essentials)
Eset 4.2 is pretty good, I'm an Eset reseller, I can use Eset on all my home rigs for free....but I use MSE.

For business clients (99% of my business)..obviously cannot use MSE (it's license clearly states it's only for home and home/SOHO office use...not business).

AntiVir has better detection rates...not a lot better, but technically little better..but I use MSE for all friends/family/home jobs that I do, because MSE is so danged easy. Very simple interface, runs quietly in the background, intuitive, low system impact..the end user doesn't have to stay on top of anything. AntiVir gets those occasional update issues (free version), Avast has that registration stuff to keep up with, etc.
 
Just wondering since everybody is recommending MSE, if anybody has had issues with it? To be more specific on my computer a scan would take 3 to 4 hours to complete. I figured do to the popularity of MSE and that it is running great on the wife's machine, that it was something specific with my setup that was causing it to run so poorly . If I could have sped up the scanning I would have kept it installed but,as it was I had to go back to Avira.
 
Avast has that registration stuff to keep up with, etc.

Just so you know, Stone, they changed it since 4.8. Now, you enter your name, email address and location (basically country/state), and it's registered. No more receiving emails with license keys and crap like that.
 
NOD32 is the only antivirus i have ever paid for. i havnt used MSE yet, though am excited to try it out on an upcoming build after all this hype. we have a few non-network-managed computers at work that one of the techs put avira on, and i have to say i dislike it.
 
I switched from MSE to Avast 5 at home and I'm loving it. Avast 5 is one of the few free scanners that allows HTTP scanning which is awesome. I also like how they removed the retarded registration/key process. Now you just type a bogus name/email into the program itself and your set for a year.

Avast 5 is incredibly lightweight as well. If you do an optional install, I selected just install File Scanner and Web (http) scanner (unchecked the rest of the worthless junk) and the service and UI is ONLY 20MB combined. That's pretty damn lightweight.

It also has very good detection rates and some nice features overall. Highly recommended. The web filter is funny because all these sites I have been going to for years now are popping up with html frame infections (which are not really that serious they just modify chached temp files) but I was still amazed what I was having installed that other programs never detected.
 
MSE is junk. It lets common malware and rogue AV's through all day long. Eset is one of the only AV's that truly guard against the latest .pdf explots and java backdoors. I have not seen any other AV find, detect and REMOVE mbr rootkit and the latest "tldr3 tdss" variant.
pair Nod32 with malwarebytes full paid version and theres a winner.
free is junk.


Remember Microsofts Live One Care ..lol
 
MSE is junk. It lets common malware and rogue AV's through all day long. Eset is one of the only AV's that truly guard against the latest .pdf explots and java backdoors. l

And what kind of daily "hands on" do you have with the two to back that up? I've been an Eset reseller since the version 2.5 days, we have hundreds of business clients...that's thousands and thousands of individual PCs...under our care.

The rogues...we scan with both...all the time. MSE quite frequently matches if not exceeds Eset.

Best test out there....go to AV-Comparatives.org and do a search for their "Dynamics 2009" test...it's the best "real world under real user situations" test I've seen, not some super lab only test of flat virus files, but real world browser based testing against current rogue threats. Guess who did very well in that test? Yup..MSE.
 
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/05/microsoft-mse-safe-from-windows-kernel-hook-attack.ars

As just noted in another thread, MSE is the only AV software currently available that is completely immune to this new type of potential attack.

Sooo...

Eset does not use traditional HIPS heuristics as you should know you market and sell it. therefore can not be shutdown or "hooked", and if the other poster read carefully in the article he/she pointed out... MSE is NOT the only AV to be "not vulnerable" to a Kernal hook attack.

As for what i do, i work for San Antonio based IT business that deploys endpoint security and network security measures for SMB's. I need to remove virus issues from clients mobile workstations almost daily. I've seen virus payloads that remove admin rights and privaledges and shut down MSE already. So the truth to MSE not being able to be shut down is false. I still have yet to see eset get shutdown by virus issues. Change proxy settings to prevent updates..but not completely shut it down. MSE is not worth a damn IMO. Hey its just IMO. Use MSE if you want.

heres an article just as credible as yours.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/antivirus-makers-applaud-mock-microsoft-security-essentials.ars

as for credible testing...my day to day operations would be real world testing. Eset again hands down.


I do agree with you on one thing though....Guiness IS Strength.
 
Last edited:
MSE is junk. It lets common malware and rogue AV's through all day long. Eset is one of the only AV's that truly guard against the latest .pdf explots and java backdoors. I have not seen any other AV find, detect and REMOVE mbr rootkit and the latest "tldr3 tdss" variant.
pair Nod32 with malwarebytes full paid version and theres a winner.
free is junk.


Remember Microsofts Live One Care ..lol

We've had Alureon removal since April. I worked nights and weekends to make sure we removed Alureon with several other analysts.

We also have great Exploit detection, but some might call me biased. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
 
I read that article a ways back and thought nothing of it. It's amazing how paranoid AVG is though. I read their response twice and I was like WTF? They apparently think there's some sort of complot in action by Microsoft. I thought Avast and Eset took the high road with their responses. Symantec seemed defensive.
 
Back
Top