NOD32 Catch 22

Scratch

n00b
Brand new build (by a newb) and I'm trying to do everything by the book.
Installed Vista 64 with no problem, then installed the chipset drivers and vid card drivers.
I have not tried to go online with the new pc yet.
Purchased NOD32 V3.0 retail.
Most of what I've read states that I should install antivirus software before going online.
However a WARNING inside the ESET keepcase requests that I should go online, to the ESET site and register the serial number enclosed and then install when requested.
Would like assurances from someone thats "been there, done that".
Many apologies if this seems a bit anal on my part. Did a search here and also went to the ESET website on the pos I'm presently running but could not find satisfaction.
Thanks for any help.
Scratch...

As long as you dont make a pitstop at your favorite girl on girl site you will be OK. I have ran PC's without virus for months, if you are smart you will be fine.

If you go online while behind a router..and go directly to good websites..you're quite fine.

If your PC is plugged directly into a broadband modem with a public IP address, without updates 'n such...yikes!

First: Many thanks for your quick and candid replies.
have ran PC's without virus for months, if you are smart you will be fine.
Yep, me too. With this 1 gig pos and Win 98. ;)
f your PC is plugged directly into a broadband modem with a public IP address, without updates 'n such...yikes!
Yikes, it is. :(
Hmmm...Should I run to the ESET site as soon as I get online? Or, wait to get that DIR-655 from the egg? Never used a router before. Difficult to set up?
Sigh...:confused:

First: Many thanks for your quick and candid replies.

Yep, me too. With this 1 gig pos and Win 98. ;)

Yikes, it is. :(
Hmmm...Should I run to the ESET site as soon as I get online? Or, wait to get that DIR-655 from the egg? Never used a router before. Difficult to set up?
Sigh...:confused:

I would wait until youre behind the NAT router. When you connect directly to the internet with just the modem, all your ports are wide open to the world. There are bots actively scanning and probing computers non-stopped looking for open ports for exploits.

When you're behind a NAT (network address translation) router, all ports are closed by default and you have to manually open them to allow INCOMING connections.

As far as difficult to setup? Not in the slightest(for basic functions, any other questions, ask here!) just plug your network cable from the modem to the uplink on the router, and then the rest of the ports to your computers/consoles/etc.

Many apologies if this seems a bit anal on my part. Did a search here and also went to the ESET website on the pos I'm presently running but could not find satisfaction.
Thanks for any help.
Scratch...

And please never feel the need to apologize for asking questions. We all have to start out somewhere. Network/Computer security IMHO is no joke, and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I would wait until youre behind the NAT router. When you connect directly to the internet with just the modem, all your ports are wide open to the world. There are bots actively scanning and probing computers non-stopped looking for open ports for exploits.

Vista and XP SP2+ have the firewall enabled by default. ALL of your ports are NOT wide open.

That said, the advice in this thread is sound - behind a router/NAT is best, although if you have the software firewall enabled, hopping online to update ESET isn't a big deal.

Appreciate all the help, gentlemen.
The cost of a router isn't a tenth of what I have invested in the new box. So, I think I'll order the beasty and be done with it. Hell, I've waited this long, whats one more week.
Many thanks.
Scratch

You are seriously way to anal about this. You will not get a virus by plugging your machine in and going to ESETs site.... just do it.

You are seriously way to anal about this

And you sir, are absolutely correct.
Unfortunately I also suffer from ocd, so you know that I have already ordered the DIR-655.
$99. with three day free shipping from the Egg. :cool:
Many thanks to all of you. [H] rocks!
Scratch...

Back