NOD32 anitvirus $19.99 free shipping

And with my sub just about to run out (and the Wife's too), perfect timing. Thanks for the info...

This is the best for me. Kaspersky might be even better at cleaning but not by much and this one runs very light on resources so its my main choice for AV.

Thanks OP! Needed this. Btw, does anyone know if the subscription starts only AFTER installing? Can I buy this and hold onto it?

Thank you! Just the motivation I needed to get this.

I really don't understand why anyone would pay for an anti-virus (unless it's for a business) when the free version of Avira is as good or better than anything out there. The only knock on Avira is the pop-up every time it updates but that takes all of 30 seconds to disable permanently. And yes, I've tried Nod32. :confused:

I really don't understand why anyone would pay for an anti-virus (unless it's for a business) when the free version of Avira is as good or better than anything out there. The only knock on Avira is the pop-up every time it updates but that takes all of 30 seconds to disable permanently. And yes, I've tried Nod32. :confused:

Because, to be honest, Avira is still kinda new to the market, and NOD32 has never let me and many other people down, that's why. When you find something that works for you, typically you support it and don't go running to the next guy just because he's charging less or giving it away for free, whatever "it" happens to be.

Some software is worth the cost. NOD32 just happens to fall into that rather narrow category.

Anyone know whether they limit number of times you can install on the same computer? For example, will I have to buy a new copy if I reformat, or if I triple boot XP/Vista/Win7 and plan to install on all three OS'es?

Anyone know whether they limit number of times you can install on the same computer? For example, will I have to buy a new copy if I reformat, or if I triple boot XP/Vista/Win7 and plan to install on all three OS'es?

I reformatted a few times, no problems. YMMV

The registration code/serial/etc is tied to a specific date when it's first installed and it expires on that date a year later, in my experience of using NOD32 for a long long time. My current license expires May 22, 2009, and believe me, I've reinstalled it maybe 5,000 times in the past year alone (and I am 100% deadly serious about that... software testing, OS testing, images, etc - I reinstall constantly). :)

is this thing any good? I wouldn't want to pay any money unless it's the absolute best antivirus/spyware available

is this thing any good? I wouldn't want to pay any money unless it's the absolute best antivirus/spyware available

It's fantastic. I've tried lots of paid ones and lots of free ones. I'll give you my list:

Free:
1. Avira (right now anyways, and that's after disabling popup)
2. Avast (still using it on some family/friend builds, nearly as good as Avira, just slower and not as aggressive at scanning.)

The free list used to include AVG until it started getting beat out by competitors, having a bloated "Nortony" interface, and randomly deleting system critical files ....

Paid:
1. Nod (This combines a quick clean install, clean/easy interface, light on resources, fantastic detection rates, fast scans ... it's excellent, and they manage to keep out virtually all bloat - an impressive feat these days. The only thing it lacks is antispyware)
2. Webroot (Not the best AV in the world, but decent, and its anti-spyware can't be beat. I use this on my home server/HTPC, as it has a lot of personal files, photos, movies stored on it. The weekly scans are very thorough, provide a good report, you get definition updates every two hours, and the whole thing takes a mere 38 megs to run in the background - unless scanning - barely 1% of total RAM!)
3. Trend Micro (Their detection rates are fairly solid across the board, it tends to be quite compatible with whatever system I throw at it, and it has a very clean quick install. The interface is slowly becoming more "Nortony" however...)

Had a bad experience with Norton IS 2008. Bloat, bloat, bloat - stupid slow install, cumbersome and problematic uninstall, slow scans, crappiest most disorganized interface in the world. I have read a few places that people are liking at least the new Norton 2009 AV only, though. Supposed to be clean and quick again.

I've had nothing but trouble with McAffee over the years, with the exception of when they first came out and had that famed "bullet disk" - very useful. They were solid in the beginning. But since then I've had McAffee screw up, bog down, and lock up (or lock out) computer after computer after computer, regardless of OS, hardware, or how clean/fresh the install/setup was. I finally gave up on it. Tried Zone Alarm. Decent firewall, but their whole IS package was definitely NOT clean and simple.

My two cents. Most of it is personal experience over the years. I'm willing to give a program more chances than most so that everything gets a fair shake. Everything mentioned above I have used in XP and Vista, generally on at least 2 or 3 different builds at different times. And Zone Alarm is the only one that I only ever tried just one version of. Everything else I have tried multiple versions of.

I usually put it like this: I dislike paying for software. NOD32 is one of the very few pieces of software that I am willing to pay for and support.

I usually put it like this: I dislike paying for software. NOD32 is one of the very few pieces of software that I am willing to pay for and support.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a big believer in freeware/open source, and NOD32 is one of the few exceptions. Been running it for 3 years now and I couldn't be happier.

Because, to be honest, Avira is still kinda new to the market, and NOD32 has never let me and many other people down, that's why. When you find something that works for you, typically you support it and don't go running to the next guy just because he's charging less or giving it away for free, whatever "it" happens to be.

Some software is worth the cost. NOD32 just happens to fall into that rather narrow category.

Yeah I hear you but is Nod32 actually better than Avira? If Avira wasn't just as good I'd never have even posted in this thread. I've used both and Avira is every bit as good plus it's free. :cool: I actually like the interface of Avira better but that's just me.

Yeah I hear you but is Nod32 actually better than Avira? If Avira wasn't just as good I'd never have even posted in this thread. I've used both and Avira is every bit as good plus it's free. :cool: I actually like the interface of Avira better but that's just me.

NOD32 is so much more polished. Avira is great for a free product, don't get me wrong.

Yea, I got one too for the $9.99 Newegg deal (should have bought 2:mad:), been sitting on it until needed.

Since this is Version 3, anyone get the free upgrade to version 4 yet and how did you do it? Have to install 3 first? Whats you opinion on version 4?

Been using Eset Nod 32 for more than 10 years. Great stuff.

NOD32 is so much more polished. Avira is great for a free product, don't get me wrong.

The polishing costs would make them start charging .... wasn't PC Cillin (now trend micro) free (just the AV, not the IS) waaaaaay back in the day?? I might have it confused with something else. But it certainly costs money today. It is quite polished, too.

NOD for $20 is a good buy any way you cut the cake. I still miss the promo they did for $10 for us not too long ago. I also snagged a copy for $10 with a copy of Vista for a build.

Funny thing about the interface, though, the less I have to look at it, the better the program is at running it's own self...

Yea, I got one too for the $9.99 Newegg deal (should have bought 2:mad:), been sitting on it until needed.

Since this is Version 3, anyone get the free upgrade to version 4 yet and how did you do it? Have to install 3 first? Whats you opinion on version 4?

Been using Eset Nod 32 for more than 10 years. Great stuff.

So just to verify, its ok to buy it and keep it on the shelf? I think I have 6 - 8 months left on my sub. I'll buy this one just to bank it.

So just to verify, its ok to buy it and keep it on the shelf? I think I have 6 - 8 months left on my sub. I'll buy this one just to bank it.

You know, I'm pretty sure they roll just like Webroot - subscription starts when you activate the key, and you have the full year from that date. Also like Webroot, NOD keeps your software version up-to-date. That's one feature I like about both of those programs. You just get the new version downloaded as another update throughout the year of your subscription. Your program is always up to date and you're never going to miss out on new features. At least the copy of NOD I bought said that, if I remember right.

My free NOD32 trial expires in 6 days so I might jump on this deal. If you buys this version will it auto update to version 4?

I've upgraded from 3.0 and I had to download the 4.0 update manually but there was no charge etc just entered my current nod32 username/pass that they assign when you register and good to go.

On a side note deal appears to be dead (at least the code isn't working for me in Chrome). I was getting ready to pull the trigger for two other computers as well.

I've upgraded from 3.0 and I had to download the 4.0 update manually but there was no charge etc just entered my current nod32 username/pass that they assign when you register and good to go.

On a side note deal appears to be dead (at least the code isn't working for me in Chrome). I was getting ready to pull the trigger for two other computers as well.

Might be a once per customer thing.

I practice safe browsing with a free antivirus and saved myself $19.99. Now THAT is a hot deal.

my renewal reminder just poped up for NOD32... nice. saved 20 bones on this deal..

Nod 32 has a 64 bit version. You may have to d/l it from their website but you can use the same activation codes etc.

Back