Noctua Teases NF-A12x25 Fan

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In the coming weeks, Noctua is expected to launch a slim, silent fan called the NF-A12. Liquid crystal polymer was reportedly used in its production, allowing for stiffer fan blades: that means better airflow and lower noise.

To achieve a higher static pressure, Noctua went totally innovative in the design. For example, the distance between the frame and the fan blades is a staggering 0.5 millimeter; this normally is 1.5 and sometimes even up to 3 millimeters.

Translation
The proprietary nano-particle manufacturing process, along with our beige and brown color scheme, ensures a laminar air-flow without the microfracturing so common in other manufacturer's fans.

I've wondered if the colors are related to strength of the material. Not that adding brown makes it strong, but that whatever they add, or don't add more likely, doesn't weaken the material.

Why are 25mm fans being described as slim? Isn't 25mm pretty much standard depth for fans? As far as I can see, the only fans that Noctua do that are over 25mm are their 200mm fans, but everything at 140mm or below is 25mm with the exception of their actual slim fans, which are 15mm or 14mm.

Why are 25mm fans being described as slim? Isn't 25mm pretty much standard depth for fans? As far as I can see, the only fans that Noctua do that are over 25mm are their 200mm fans, but everything at 140mm or below is 25mm with the exception of their actual slim fans, which are 15mm or 14mm.

For the general consumer yes 25mm standard, in servers or other markets? not always.

I love their fans, I have 14 of them in my case 10 on radiators, and I'm more about the performance of them rather than the look.

For the general consumer yes 25mm standard, in servers or other markets? not always.

I love their fans, I have 14 of them in my case 10 on radiators, and I'm more about the performance of them rather than the look.
That's valid. The article describes the new fans as being designed for CPU coolers and radiators, and there's nothing to suggest that these are industrial rather than consumer products, though.

I agree that Noctua fans are superb, and like you I don't mind the colour scheme. I'd rather have great performance and these colours than flashy looking fans that are less effective or more noisy.

I am sure they are the best fans on planet earth but way to ugly for my case. Think about how much money they would make just changing that nasty skin color to something more attractive.

I am sure they are the best fans on planet earth but way to ugly for my case. Think about how much money they would make just changing that nasty skin color to something more attractive.

Alternatively, since nothing matches the color, they get people like myself to go all in on Noctua fans...

Everyone who complains about the color is exactly why they chose that color to begin with. Its marketing. And apparently it works great, and also that they are very good fans to begin with.

I think the article is convoluting the NF-A12x15 slim fan with the NF-A12x25 regular sized fan.

One of the pictures in the article is showing the NF-A12x15 (The one with less blades), while the other one clearly shows the fan that was just announced.

The benefits of smaller tolerances sounded good until I started to wonder how often you have to clean the dust off them. I went all Noctua in my last build over three years ago, all are doing well except one is a bit noisier, it's the one that's hardest to get at to clean. Still not a bad time since it's not that bad yet I'll wait a few more months to replace it, but given their prices I wouldn't want a fan that goes bad every year or two. I don't mind the color, less boring than basic black, but then I only see them when cleaning so it doesn't matter.

Wasn't production of Noctua fans moved to China or something a while ago, and then after that there was some reported small decrease in quality, noise, etc?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...fan-quality-after-moving-production-to-china/

Where does Noctua quality stand, today?
As far as I know, the quality is still great. I think those Chinese fans being "worse" was a specific batch and there haven't been any reports of further problems, but I'm happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

Usually I like the news on the front-page but this wasn't a very good one.

The Noctua A series has been in development for a while, and specifically the 120x25 has been delayed before. Looks like it's finally on its way to the market. There's already a "slim" 120mm fan, the NF-A12x15. The 25mm fan size (thickness) is more or less the defacto standard and it's nice to see a new development in this space, especially since Noctuas have been known for their "performance" and "slient" features despite their color scheme (which, yes, they do make an all-black, non-redux, non-industrial fan, which is now the "chroma" series).

What I find to be interesting is the potential consolidation of their line, and if the A series will take over as the new standard, especially with the new material and the tighter tolerances (which they claim is enabled because of the new material).

If they go RGB or something, you know they've run out of ideas, so this still makes them the best fan manufacturers in my opinion.

My rad fans.
hECbNHM.jpg

My old rad fans.
FM9rFqm.jpg

My front fans. Forget model. 40mm.

hz03Rql.jpg

Back