Noctua HSF = Free shipping [Warmie]

CM v8 = 70, whats so funny.

Took newegg long enough to put free shipping, jeesh.

$80 for an air cooler is still damn expensive, I think even 70 is.

Heck, I though $50 was a lot for the good copper Zalmans and such. Not that I am being cheap, it is just a lot for a fan and heatsink.

What's rediculous is paying $20 more for the 1336 mounting mechanism. The NH-U12P heatsink and fan are the same otherwise afaik. These are actaully comparable in overall price to the TRUE when you factor in the fan, they just aren't quite as good cooling-wise.

What's rediculous is paying $20 more for the 1336 mounting mechanism. The NH-U12P heatsink and fan are the same otherwise afaik. These are actaully comparable in overall price to the TRUE when you factor in the fan, they just aren't quite as good cooling-wise.

What's even funnier is that you can get the NH-U12P for LGA775/AM2 for $55-60 then get the 1366 mounting kit free from Noctua (free shipping too): http://www.noctua.at./main.php?show=1366_upgrade_order&lng=en

If you get the normal NH-U12P then order the free LGA1366 mounting kit from Noctua's site (about $60 + $0), it ends up being about the same as Thermalright's Ultra-120 with a 1366 kit (about $52 + $8), so you get a free fan + their volt mods, and those fans, whether they're worth it to you or not, cost about $20.

You're paying an extra $20 for a 2nd fan, which typically costs ~$20. Also from what I've read they're better than a TRUE if you're using low speed fans. The HR-01+ is comparable though.

$80 is a great price for a heatsink with two fans included. I paid $75 for my TRUE with only one fan. Noctua fan > Thermaltake's fan.

You're paying an extra $20 for a 2nd fan, which typically costs ~$20. Also from what I've read they're better than a TRUE if you're using low speed fans. The HR-01+ is comparable though.

I keep hearing anecdotally around forums that the Noctua is better with low CFM fans, but I have yet to find a review that supports this claim. Does anyone have any links?

The one review I found that mentioned anything to that effect suggested that the TRUE was marginally better than the Noctua with the same fan, regardless of the fan. Unfortunately I can't find that review now either.

I keep hearing anecdotally around forums that the Noctua is better with low CFM fans, but I have yet to find a review that supports this claim. Does anyone have any links?

The one review I found that mentioned anything to that effect suggested that the TRUE was marginally better than the Noctua with the same fan, regardless of the fan. Unfortunately I can't find that review now either.

Theoretically it should, like everyone says, but I haven't found any evidence of it either, and I have one system with one and another system with another, nearly identical otherwise (same CPU, different mobo, I use a Noctua fan on the Thermalright too).

Likewise, Noctua's fans, while being best in class CFM to dB ratio, have lower static pressure and thus is supposedly inferior to other 1200-1300rpm fans with higher dB and higher static pressure for the purposes of CPU heatsink cooling, and I have yet to find any evidence of that either. I've tried a Thermaltake fan (tri-speed, set at 1200RPM), a Scythe at 1200RPM (S-FLEX SFF21E, which I used to use for case fans), and the default Noctua fan.

However I also haven't found an appreciable difference between the two heatsinks anyway. Everyone also says, "TRUE only really shines aboves the competition with lapping." Well, the Noctua also has microgrooves and I haven't seen ANYONE ever lap a Noctua and use those comparisons. And both, unlapped, give me the same results.

When all is said and done, the difference is too minuscule for me, the average enthusiast, to notice at all. I notice more difference with better goop application than I do switching between a TRUE and NH-U12P.

noctua p12 fans have just as much static pressure as other fans, you are thinking about the the s12 which sucked for hsf use.

Theoretically it should, like everyone says, but I haven't found any evidence of it either, and I have one system with one and another system with another, nearly identical otherwise (same CPU, different mobo, I use a Noctua fan on the Thermalright too).

Likewise, Noctua's fans, while being best in class CFM to dB ratio, have lower static pressure and thus is supposedly inferior to other 1200-1300rpm fans with higher dB and higher static pressure for the purposes of CPU heatsink cooling, and I have yet to find any evidence of that either. I've tried a Thermaltake fan (tri-speed, set at 1200RPM), a Scythe at 1200RPM (S-FLEX SFF21E, which I used to use for case fans), and the default Noctua fan.

However I also haven't found an appreciable difference between the two heatsinks anyway. Everyone also says, "TRUE only really shines aboves the competition with lapping." Well, the Noctua also has microgrooves and I haven't seen ANYONE ever lap a Noctua and use those comparisons. And both, unlapped, give me the same results.

When all is said and done, the difference is too minuscule for me, the average enthusiast, to notice at all. I notice more difference with better goop application than I do switching between a TRUE and NH-U12P.

Thanks for the input.

You're right, though. The difference really is too small to worry about. They're both excellent HSFs, but I'm leaning toward the Noctua even if it is 1-2 C worse than the TRUE just because it comes with a better fan.

What 70-80 dollars for a heatsink is waaaay to expensive

I got my Xigmatek heatsink for 35 last year and I saw here for $20 AR and there's only a few difference in degrees between that and the TRUE, so screw these over priced heatsinks.

What 70-80 dollars for a heatsink is waaaay to expensive

I got my Xigmatek heatsink for 35 last year and I saw here for $20 AR and there's only a few difference in degrees between that and the TRUE, so screw these over priced heatsinks.

word, i got it for $15 after rebate,and it came with a fan (which i didnt actually use). I strapepd a white LED rosewill fan, thats literally dead silent (as in, i stick my head right next to it, and I still can't hear it, and I
m not deaf :p), i get 65C on both my cores on my e8400 at 4.05 ghz! thats TRUE temps right there.

word, i got it for $15 after rebate,and it came with a fan (which i didnt actually use). I strapepd a white LED rosewill fan, thats literally dead silent (as in, i stick my head right next to it, and I still can't hear it, and I
m not deaf :p), i get 65C on both my cores on my e8400 at 4.05 ghz! thats TRUE temps right there.

i love the TRUE, i have had it since it first came out, i didn't hear about the washer mod so i just used strips of electrical tapes under the X to give it more pressure, and i get 55C max on my e8500 running 1.36v 4.2ghz, not bad imo.

i did buy some washers today though so i am going to get rid of that jimmy rig i did and do it right.

even my e6300 w/ 1.53v was staying under 65C max with the TRUE.

Back