Nocona review.

Opty got pawned in 3D rendering. Now the question is: "What idiot would play games on a server?!"

still pissed off. The performance would have been better if the bus architecture was better.

M4d-K10wN said:
Opty got pawned in 3D rendering. Now the question is: "What idiot would play games on a server?!"

I wouldn't say "pawned." Xeon got clobbered badly in Maya but edged ahead in 3DSMax. Opty DID take a heavy beating in Photoshop and FlashMX tho.

Not sure WTF happened with HyperThreading in Maya. :confused: I thought Intel had ironed out HT performance regressions...but then again, adding a bunch of pipeline stages and other tweaks might have wrinkled it all up again.

As far as Xeon bus architecture, that should get a boost with Twin Castle.

EDIT: what I REALLY wanted to see, though...I want to see EM64T in action. GamePC supposedly had an EM64T-compatible build of Win64, so I don't know what held them back. I haven't heard good things about EM64T so far, but I figure maybe it will surprise me.

Kelledin said:
I wouldn't say "pawned." Xeon got clobbered badly in Maya but edged ahead in 3DSMax. Opty DID take a heavy beating in Photoshop and FlashMX tho.

Not sure WTF happened with HyperThreading in Maya. :confused: I thought Intel had ironed out HT performance regressions...but then again, adding a bunch of pipeline stages and other tweaks might have wrinkled it all up again.

As far as Xeon bus architecture, that should get a boost with Twin Castle.

EDIT: what I REALLY wanted to see, though...I want to see EM64T in action. GamePC supposedly had an EM64T-compatible build of Win64, so I don't know what held them back. I haven't heard good things about EM64T so far, but I figure maybe it will surprise me.
It will be depressing to say the least. The INQ did an article and said that a software tester said that the Nonaca extensions sucked. Talk about being nice. The Xeon needs more bandwith. It boils down to that. I still dont think the Xeons have a 31 stage pipeline. We'll wait for AceHardware to review it and see what happens. Intel should use a 128 bit XDR RAM memory controller when it comes out or a 128/256 Bit memory controller. The Xeons need that boost in bandwith.

Kelledin said:

im not sure what you mean but they did testing in WindowsXP 64 bit

kronchev said:
im not sure what you mean but they did testing in WindowsXP 64 bit

Well, yes, but I would have liked to see more extended analysis--like testing each processor running SPEC compiled in both 32-bit and 64-bit mode, and seeing what performance gain/loss there was on Xeon vs Opteron. Maybe some custom-coded benchmarks as well, to analyze the impact of using 64-bit pointers/integers vs 32-bit.

I'm hearing some pretty ugly rumors/details about EM64T performance; it would be nice if those rumors could be confirmed or debunked once and for all.

It seems that a few of the tests didn't really take advantage of multiple CPUs (for example, the LAME test).

Of course, you can't expect a site called "Games PC" to do much in the way of server tests.

Back