No way bf2 will run on a gf3?

CoPilotJim

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I am trying to run the bf2 demo on a 2.4 P4A/512mb of ram and a geforce 3. I tried downloading the shadermod and using that, but I get a memory allocation error. So is there pretty much no way in hell it's going to run on my card?

You know the funny thing is my dad has an x850 xt in his pc, but its PCI express. I could totally get it from him for free, but I would pretty much end up dumping $500 on a new case/mobo/cpu/psu.

thanks

I'd do that if I were you, dump that money on a new case/mobo/psu/cpu and get him a PCI-E X300SE to replace that card.

take your dads x850xt and sell it on ebay. That should be enough to finance a new mobo/cpu/vid card combo.

Say 150$ cpu (athlon64 3000+), 100$ mobo(nForce4 PCI-e mobo, no reason to upgrade to another agp mobo), and 100$ gpu. I am currently playing battlefield 2 on a 100$ 6600 vanilla and it does play the game acceptably between 60-40fps at medium quality 1024x768.

EDIT : Of course this is assuming you are completely adverse to spending more money on this. If you would be up for spending the 500 or so on the upgrade I say go for it and use the x850

I'm suprised nobody noticed that he's trying to run the game on 512mb of ram. Thats the memory allocation issue.

The next issue is that the GeForce3 doesn't have the right shaders for BF2. It has SM 1.1. You need at least SM 1.3, I.E. Radeon 8500 or GeForce FX or higher. A TI4200 isn't supposed to run the game with it's SM 1.2 :\

my powercolor x800xl runs BF2 pretty dam smoothly with medium settings and high texture quality.... it's rock stable :)

robberbaron said:
I'm suprised nobody noticed that he's trying to run the game on 512mb of ram. Thats the memory allocation issue.

The next issue is that the GeForce3 doesn't have the right shaders for BF2. It has SM 1.1. You need at least SM 1.3, I.E. Radeon 8500 or GeForce FX or higher. A TI4200 isn't supposed to run the game with it's SM 1.2 :\

Actually you need SM1.4. Hence why the 8500 can run it and the GF4 can't.

dont sell the x850xt, its a great card. just upgrade your system ($150 on CPU [3000+], $120 on mobo [a nice MSI/ABIT/ASUS/DFI], $160 on 2 GB RAM [cheap value RAM]).

Simply upgrade you comp, I wouldn't dare sell off that X850XT. You really need at least a gig of RAM to play BF2. I have a gig and a 9800 Pro, it runs smoothly on medium settings, I'm not sure your ol' GF3 will run it well, perhaps on the lowest settings...and hell, what's the point then?! Anyways, think of the beautifully smooth gameplay you'll get with that X850XT, and upgrade!

maranello575 said:
Simply upgrade you comp, I wouldn't dare sell off that X850XT. You really need at least a gig of RAM to play BF2. I have a gig and a 9800 Pro, it runs smoothly on medium settings, I'm not sure your ol' GF3 will run it well, perhaps on the lowest settings...and hell, what's the point then?! Anyways, think of the beautifully smooth gameplay you'll get with that X850XT, and upgrade!

It CANT. It has too immature of a shader version.

so i drop 50 on BF2 and i figure my Ti 4200 should run it on low settings. And of course i cant open the bloody game. Now i need to look into buyin a new video card which im sure will cause new problems, but thats what im making a new thread about. Moral of the story, EA games was not BSing us when they said you need 1 out of a special list of about 20 video cards on the eagames website.

He's talking about this shadermod: http://zox.game-deception.com/downloads/Direct3D/BF2ShaderMod.zip

Created for Game-Deception
http://www.game-deception.com

Credits in main.cpp!

USAGE:
1) Extract the EXE and DLL (into the same DIRECTORY)

2) start TatniumD3D.exe (and click ok in the msgbox)

3) start the BF2.exe demo (or the shortcut on your desktop)

PS: please don't sue us EA!

PPS: I know the graphics are shit, I'm not the worlds greatest
D3D programmer :).

PPPS: I used all low quality settings (1024x768) and it ran fine, other
than the ugly graphics

The out of memory message is probably due to a corrupted exe or trying to run the game at better than low quality with only 512MB.

robberbaron said:
Your point is? I run the game on pretty much all high quality settings and I 'only' have 512MB RAM (specs in sig). I'm sure the game was designed to allow it being run on less than 512MB, albeit it would suck but it would run.

The out of memory message is probably due to a corrupted exe
That sounds more like it. Either the exe is broken, another part of the game has become pooched, or there is a Windows or driver error. I doubt it would be the video card either.

i got a gf3, they own :p too bad you cant play anything new with them anymore

and yes the gf3 will not work with bf2, ever

4keatimj said:
Your point is? I run the game on pretty much all high quality settings and I 'only' have 512MB RAM (specs in sig). I'm sure the game was designed to allow it being run on less than 512MB, albeit it would suck but it would run.

That sounds more like it. Either the exe is broken, another part of the game has become pooched, or there is a Windows or driver error. I doubt it would be the video card either.

Please give me all your settings, I honestly dont believe you're running all highs, if you are you're running at a low resolution most likely.

exactly, he probably isnt running on high. BF2 only needs 2GB or so at uber settings. Although, with the other specs in your sig, you could probably benefit extremely from another 512mb of ram.unless you're running 2x256mb of some old BH-5 or somethign that you don't want to sacrifice the performance of by putting in some more, I'd buy another 512mb stick of DDR400 for like $40-50. You'll probably be able to bump everythign up a notch without running into your pagefile.

And that goes for the OP too. Besides the need for a different graphics card, 1GB of ram is the min I would run BF2 with since with halfway decent other components and 1GB of ram, you'll be able to run a lot higher IQ than if you have less than 1GB. Of course, if you use an X850 and Athlon64 or something, then you would want 2GB of ram.

The minimum I see you spending to use that X850 is like 204+90+117+8+105=$524
$204 for 2Gb of Mushkin ram here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146190

$90 for a DFI mobo here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136160

$117 for a 3000+ Veince CPU here:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BW

$8 for a heatsink somewhere. www.svc.com has some cheap ones, I got one from there.

$105 for a Seasonic S12-500 psu here:
http://www.case-mod.com/store/seaso...-500-watt-atx-power-supply-p-1579.html?src=fr

You could switch to different stuff if you wanted to, but that's the general idea.

-----

Personally, I'd get 512mb of some ram, maybe this stuff: (Crucial Value, $46)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146532

and a 6800NU or something. Here's an odd deal for $164:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150106
It says 6800GT, but it's only got 128mb of DDR memory like the 6800NU, not 256mb of GDDR3 memory like the 6800GT. The thing about 6800NU AGPs is that you might be able to unlock more pixel pipelines and a vertex shader to make it like a 6800GT if you can overclock it to the right speeds (albeit with worse memory). That's the great thing about them. This takes the mystery out of the picture. It seems like a good deal to me, I'd jump on it.

That's like $200, and your computer will thank me. You will get some decent IQ for all that, certainly nothing like the X850, but it's 2.5x cheaper, so who cares?

Skrying said:
Please give me all your settings, I honestly dont believe you're running all highs, if you are you're running at a low resolution most likely.
I'm not at the computer now, but let me see if I can remember it all...

Res: 1024x768

Textures: Medium
Geometry: High
Terrain: High (I think...)
Lighting: Medium
Shadows: Medium
Filtering: Low
A-A: 2x
Sound: Medium

I'm certainly not running all highs, but I have a couple that are set to high, and gameplay is still fantastic. The only complaint I have with BF2 and my system is the loading - it takes forever and a day to load a map, it's even doing it when the map is first loaded, which in turn makes the frame rate chug along very badly (and no, it's not the game using the swap file, because if it was it would do it all the time and I would notice it). But apart from that very big chug at the start of the map for a little while, the game plays very, very nicely, with good quality pictures and very good framerate.

What I have found from the experience of BF2 on my machine is that it runs really, really nicely. The only bottleneck is the hard drive, but thats fixed by adding a SATA one (if I want). But, like I have found with other games, you don't need a really high end system to run it fine. Something of my specs will allow you to play current and future games at high detail levels for a lot less money than an extreme, high-end system.

Does that help?

Edit:
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2147-x-x-x&body_pagenum=5

This review does the complete test on vid card, CPU and RAM, this page showing the RAM. At high quality levels, a 3000+ with a GeForce 6800Ultra was tested with 1GB and 512MB RAM. No difference in FPS. The test was repeated, this time with a lower res, and the difference was 2FPS. Really, it doesn't matter too much whether you have 512MB or 1gig in there, the difference is in the video card.

4keatimj said:

The game takes up over 800MB of ram during gameplay on my system with everything on high. That's what worries me about having only 512mb, heh.

Yeah, but (from my experience anyway) its more a video card game... that's why it's not turned all the way up, because it would kill my video card (both because of the GPU and the lack of vid RAM). You know, I don't really notice the hard drive access to the swap file, like I said it chugs at the start when it's still loading a lot, but when its in full swing I don't really notice any frame rate drop at all, when the action starts up. Not that I'm complaining, mind you... again like I said, it shows that you don't need a huge system to play it fast... just enough, and I reckon I've got more than enough :)

Mind you I am considering adding more RAM in there, mainly to future proof myself, but also to bring it up in specs a little. Lets face it, machines are coming out starndard with 512MB or 1gig of RAM, so I just need to catch up a bit there. Especially if there are more memory intensive games/apps than BF2 coming out :eek:

Thanks for the info.

So basically even with the shader mod it won't work on a gf3?

I am pretty much not going to upgrade. While I have the money and am mighty tempted, I don't plan on gaming enough to warrant the purchase. Also if I upgraded I'd probably buy a new monitor, becuase my current crt (its atleast 4 years old) only hits 1024 x 768 and is dying. So thats another $200+, granted I am going to replace the monitor anyway, but I can definitely wait until it dies.

I am planning on buying a pretty killer ldual core laptop (or a sweet dual core desktop and an ok ultraportable) next summer/fall after I graduate from university. When school starts up this the fall I'll be using the laptop my university issues (1.7 dothan, 512mb, 9600) which'll most likely handle any gaming I would want to do until then. So yeah I am just saving any money I'd spend on my rig now for the laptop I plan on buying a year from now.

thanks again!

Back