No Vista Hardware Acceleration?

icetrey47

Limp Gawd
Hello all, I installed Windows Vista Ultimate tonight, and it seems like I don't have any 3d hardware acceleration. Things like WMP slow down the whole system when the effects are playing, and I tried loading up Doom 3 and sure enough the game locked up. I don't know what I'm missing, I installed the latest drivers on the NVIDIA site (158.18) and everything looks to be working fine. Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
GA-K8NSC-939 (nForce3 250gb)
1gb Memory
GeForce 6800 Ultra (AGP)

Is there something I should do to determine if I'm missing hardware acceleration? Like I said, anything from Flash on websites to WMP is very laggy. Any help appreciated, thanks!

hmm, what kind of sucks is that your motherboard chipset has no official support in vista. maybe there's an issue with it?

My system is very similar, and flash animations are very slow. I can typically tell as I scroll down a web page, as the portions w/ flash animations will by jumpy, and the portions without scroll smoothly.

Otherwise 3D gaming is pretty good. CS:S, Q4, Test Drive: Unlimited, Supreme Commander, and the latest C&C run very well. However, the Nvidia 101.70 drives seem to run better than the new 158.xx(?).

The Nforce 3 chipset has no or little AGP support in Vista unless something has changed in the last month..That's your problem. You should email Nvidia and let them know how you feel about it as this is a big issue for many. At first they said they weren't going to support it at all, but I think I saw on another site that Nvidia is now going to make Nforce3 AGP drivers for Vista, but when they'll be available, I couldn't tell you.

Just thought I'd update, I fixed the problem. I downloaded the nForce3 5.11 drivers from nvidia.com and installed only the GART driver, and voila, everything is as it should be. For those of you who share my problem give it a shot. Thanks!

wow that's good. i was under the impression that they hadn't even bothered to write a driver. alls well that ends well, eh :)

Back