• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

No Video Signal - Please help!!

Stinger1

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
230
I have my son's computer torn down to just a video card, CPU, and RAM. I get no video signal upon initial startup of the computer. After a few On/Off's I finally get a signal and I get to the point of the XP boot up (just past the POST)where-in it just hangs. If I do a three-finger salute, I lose the video signal and have to do the On/Off try again. I have tried other hard drives and even put a PCI video card in it, and still can't get the computer to see the video signal. No beeps, just sits there. The Abit KD7 is new. The 3000+ Barton is new. RAM is used from my old setup(It worked fine before). Video card is brand new BFG Geforce FX 5700LE OC 256Mb. I've tried another power supply, can't attest to it's health. Have just assume it's good. Everything powers up, drives spin up and initiallize.

Anytime I do a Three-Finger-Salute, I lose video signal. This computer has a history of problems, but we have replaced everything and still have this problem. I even took everything out of his case and installed it into another case. Can someone help me???
 
Yes I have. He has a 19" MAG. My setup monitor is a 15" NEC LCD 1565. Thanks.


I was just checking....I only have a 300W PS in there. It doesn't have the 4-pin 12v connector either. Does anyone use a 300W without a 12 volt connector???
 
That card gets all its power from the AGP, reseat the card and try it again, it my not be making contact.
 
in such a problem i like to start things out by clearing the cmos so that you're working with factory defaults.
does 'everything' include the motherboard because you haven't mentioned anything about it.
 
darkpark said:
in such a problem i like to start things out by clearing the cmos so that you're working with factory defaults.
does 'everything' include the motherboard because you haven't mentioned anything about it.

Yes, the Mainboard too. I also have cleared the CMOS. That was my first step.
 
Stinger1 said:
Yes I have. He has a 19" MAG. My setup monitor is a 15" NEC LCD 1565. Thanks.


I was just checking....I only have a 300W PS in there. It doesn't have the 4-pin 12v connector either. Does anyone use a 300W without a 12 volt connector???

I think you might have just answered your question. I pulled down the KD7 manual from Abit, it doesn't specifically say you MUST plug in that 12V connector, but most of the other mobos I've got say you have to. My MN31/N won't even POST at all with it disconnected (something I learned the hard way when I tried to fire it up with my "test" supply that doesn't have the 12V connector, thought I had a dead mobo).

Any way to borrow a PS with the 4-pin on it?
 
HTPC Rookie said:
I think you might have just answered your question. I pulled down the KD7 manual from Abit, it doesn't specifically say you MUST plug in that 12V connector, but most of the other mobos I've got say you have to. My MN31/N won't even POST at all with it disconnected (something I learned the hard way when I tried to fire it up with my "test" supply that doesn't have the 12V connector, thought I had a dead mobo).

Any way to borrow a PS with the 4-pin on it?

Thanks for your input. I have ordered a new TT 480W from Monarch Computers. It's so weird that it has been working fine up till yesterday. I have been ignorant about PS issues as I have just recently been enlightened on that 4-pin connector. How is that for being "Out of the Circle"???

Also ordered him a NF7-S2 Mobo just to be safe.
 
the NF7-S2? how does it differ from the NF7-S rev2? I'm thoroughly enjoying mine. :)
It has been the most stable Abit board I have ever bought.
 
darkpark said:
the NF7-S2? how does it differ from the NF7-S rev2? I'm thoroughly enjoying mine. :)
It has been the most stable Abit board I have ever bought.

If I recall properly, the NF7-S2 is made with slightly inferior parts; it doesn't have the same high quality caps, and doesn't tend to OC as well.

 
Back
Top